Author Topic: A Boarding School in Weston-Super-Mare in the early 20th century  (Read 9368 times)

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
Re: A Boarding School in Weston-Super-Mare in the early 20th century
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 August 18 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Elliot

If you get in touch with Weston library by e mail I would mark it for the attention of Roxy (a good friends nickname) who is one of the librarians who spend a lot of time at the desk in the local studies room & is a very good researcher as she digs out as much info as she can on any subject that she researches for the library

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 August 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Elliot

Im back home & am at present in the main library at Weston where I plan to have a good look at the file they have on La Retraite & will let you know some time later a rough outline of what it contains

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Elliott3396

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 22 August 18 11:39 BST (UK) »
I have just got back from a holiday in Weston Super Mare and by sheer luck ended up on South Road, so I made sure to take a couple of pictures of the school.

Comparing it to the postcard image I posted previously there hasn't really been any noticeable changes that I can see to the main building.

I also found this postcard (posted 1907) of the road. We can see the building in question on the left behind the tree, as well as the other school across the road on the corner.

Hi Elliot

Im back home & am at present in the main library at Weston where I plan to have a good look at the file they have on La Retraite & will let you know some time later a rough outline of what it contains

All the very best

Phil

That would be brilliant, thank you very much. Sorry for the late reply.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 25 August 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Elliot

Last Saturday I had a good look at the file in question & here is a rough summery of its contents-
Newspaper cuttings dated 25MAY1966, 30APR1970, 1MAY1970, 8FEB1971, 9FEB1971, 12FEB1971, 12FEB1971, 18FEB1971, 20FEB1971, 20FEB1971, 26FEB1971, 12MAR1971,
12MAR1971, 4AUG1971, 6AUG1971,Then there are a lot of cuttings of the buildings closure & the proposal to turn it into flats.
Copies of photos dating back to 1924

Photo of Pupils Hockey Team Identified Jean Frederick, Elizabeth Purkis, Pat Cotter, Anne Stokes
Monica Stevenson, Neesa Ryan, Peggy Kersloke, Finola Ryan, Dodie Kerslake, Rona Kemp & Gwen Cotter. (I would thing about 1936 but thats only a guess)

There is another hockey photo partly identified about 1938

More pictures of hockey teams 2nd X1 1946-49, 1st X1 1948-49

School photo 1949-50
School photo undated
School photo undated
School photo 1971 unidentified
Several pictures of the school interior & exterior

I hope that this is of some help to you but to be honest I don't think its early enough for you & I was hoping there would be a list of pupils tucked away in this file but no such luck

All the very best

Phil 
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Elliott3396

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 August 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Elliot

Last Saturday I had a good look at the file in question & here is a rough summery of its contents-
Newspaper cuttings dated 25MAY1966, 30APR1970, 1MAY1970, 8FEB1971, 9FEB1971, 12FEB1971, 12FEB1971, 18FEB1971, 20FEB1971, 20FEB1971, 26FEB1971, 12MAR1971,
12MAR1971, 4AUG1971, 6AUG1971,Then there are a lot of cuttings of the buildings closure & the proposal to turn it into flats.
Copies of photos dating back to 1924

Photo of Pupils Hockey Team Identified Jean Frederick, Elizabeth Purkis, Pat Cotter, Anne Stokes
Monica Stevenson, Neesa Ryan, Peggy Kersloke, Finola Ryan, Dodie Kerslake, Rona Kemp & Gwen Cotter. (I would thing about 1936 but thats only a guess)

There is another hockey photo partly identified about 1938

More pictures of hockey teams 2nd X1 1946-49, 1st X1 1948-49

School photo 1949-50
School photo undated
School photo undated
School photo 1971 unidentified
Several pictures of the school interior & exterior

I hope that this is of some help to you but to be honest I don't think its early enough for you & I was hoping there would be a list of pupils tucked away in this file but no such luck

All the very best

Phil

Thank you very much for your time. Sadly like you said it looks like it is mainly a few decades too recent for me so I think I'll leave it here for now. Thanks again for all the help, it has been very interesting.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 01 September 18 11:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Elliot

I've just spoken to the local historian & he said he doesn't think you will be able to find any detailed records on La Retraite as he has been looking for some & if he cant find anything its not going to be worth looking.  Sorry to be such a wet blanket.

All the very best

Phil
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell

Offline Bill Laws

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 13:47 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother Ada Laws inherited Eastern House School in 1920 from an aunt and ran it until 1939 or 1940. She extended the school to include a housewifery school run from her home, Villa Rosa, by a Miss Dawson.
Unfortunately I don't know if any pupil's records exist.

Offline megagrumpy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 08 May 20 07:13 BST (UK) »
I have a letter written to my grandmother in May 1910 when she was just 17 years old and it is addressed to Eastern House, so it was definitely a Girl's boarding school in 1910. Would this have been the name of the Senior Girls' School in South Road or is it possible that the school in Landemann Circus?

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 May 20 08:03 BST (UK) »
Here's an ad from 1910:
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk