Author Topic: Mystery man in Tasmania.  (Read 3293 times)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mystery man in Tasmania.
« on: Wednesday 18 July 18 01:02 BST (UK) »
Trying to find where Cornelius Gibbons originated from. He married Jane Pearmain in Port Sorell 25 Oct 1862, Jane arrived from England 10 Mar 1862 on the ship "Solway" from London. I can't find a passenger list for the Solway to see if Cornelius was with her then also I can't find him on a list of convicts so when did he arrive in Tasmania? He was 26 at the time of his marriage so that makes him born around 1836, the witnesses to the marriage were Elizabeth Chatwin and Alfred Chatwin, Elizabeth was Jane's sister and she married Alfred 19 Apr 1858 in Port Sorell. There is a prisoner in Liverpool city gaol in 1851, Cornelius Gibbons age 14 a dock labourer but I have'nt been able to find his crime or conviction to see if he was transported. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery man in Tasmania.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 01:34 BST (UK) »
Launceston Examiner 12April1859 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/38995731
THURSDAY , APRIL 7.
(Before the Worshipful the Mayor.)
Thos. Whale, Mary Brody, Wm. Noble, Caroline Breman, Mary Fainly, and Cornelius Gibbons were each fined 10s.; Margaret M'Carthy, Mary Townsend, and Elizabeth Lee were each fined 20s. for drunkenness.

Launceston Examiner 9July1859 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/38996571
Cornelius Gibbons in the employment of Robert Jones, of the " Sydney Hotel," Elizabeth-street, was brought up by warrant, charged with absenting himself without leave from his hired service. He was remanded until Monday.

Launceston Examiner 12July1859 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/38996596
ABSENT SERVANT.--Cornelius Gibbons was brought up by warrant, charged with having on 6th April absented. himself from the hired service of Robert Jones, of Elizabeth-street. The defendant pleaded guilty. Mr. Jones stated the defendant left and got drunk, for which he was put into the watchhouse. When he came out he absconded, and witness took out a warrant against him. - Defendant then returned and promised to behave better, but the next morning he got up and went away,leaving. the horses in the stable unattended to. The bench fined the defendant 40s., costs 13s. 6d.

The Cornwall Chronicle 13July1859 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/65988703
Master and Servant Act— Cornelius Gibbons was brought before the Mayor and Mr. Weedon at the Police Officer on Monday, on remand, having been apprehended on warrant, for not appearing when summoned to answer the complaint of his master, Mr Robert Jones, of the Sydney Hotel, for unlawfully absenting himself from his service. He pleaded guilty, was fined 40s, and 13s 6d costs, and in default of pay ment was committed to gaol for two months.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 02:12 BST (UK) »
Hi cupoflife,
Thank you for that info, I had the 12April1859 one but not the others.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 03:34 BST (UK) »
I can't find a passenger list for the Solway to see if Cornelius was with her then

Well then how do you know which ship she arrived on?

The passenger list is here:

https://stors.tas.gov.au/CB7-12-1-12

Jane is on page 159.

Debra  :)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 03:48 BST (UK) »
Hi  Dundee,
I meant to say that I could'nt find Cornelius on the passenger list, I already found Jane. Cornelius is the problem, I don't know if he was born in Tas. or came as a settler, there seems to be a lot of Gibbons in the Launceston area and Cornelius died there in 1904.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 04:02 BST (UK) »
The death certificate for Cornelius GIBBONS, d. 1904, will ask for his birthplace. What do you see on the death certificate?

What children do you have for Cornelius and Jane?  Using LINC, I see ten born 1864 to 1884.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 04:09 BST (UK) »
Tas death certs give a place of birth from 1897 onwards so even if it just says England/Ireland etc at least you will know he was an immigrant.

Unfortunately as with all colonies/states there are many immigration records which haven't survived but the Tas archives continues to index other records associated with immigrants.

Debra  :)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 04:19 BST (UK) »
His death cert is not on Linc. Got his death date from obituary and Trove. He had 10 children with Jane and I've got all their details.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 July 18 02:13 BST (UK) »
Baring in mind that he was in Launceston in 1859 he may of arrived with his wife's sister Elizabeth in 1857 on the ship Southern Eagle,(Trove). Still looking for passenger list of Southern Eagle.