Author Topic: brick wall with Catherine McArthur  (Read 5982 times)

Offline sharonsteinberg47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
brick wall with Catherine McArthur
« on: Wednesday 18 July 18 01:41 BST (UK) »
hello, I have a brick wall with my 3x great grandmother Catherine McArthur who married my 3x Great grandfather, James Makin, in Carcoar it says Bowenfels because the minister was from Bowenfels I suspect. they married in 1844, he was dead by 1849 at Grubenbong nr Carcoar.
when my GG granmother their daughter, Mary, married christopher Donnelly in Goulburn, in 1864 it stated in the Goulburn Newspaper that her mother was Mrs bolston wife of William Bolston. all I could find was a police gazette request for William Bolston to be found for desertion of his wife.

When Catherines other daughter, Elizabeth, Married John Moore, 1865,  in she stated her mothers last name was West. a Catherine west died in the Goulburn Gaol in 1866, she was dying when she was arrested and it states her name was Wilkinson alias West. 

I can find nothing about a Catherine McArthur arriving on a boat prior to 1844 except for one married to Donald McArthur...I think they went to SA.

I can find nothing for a william bolston except his incarceration in the Liverpool Asylum. where did she come from and how did she get here to Australia?
any help at all would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: brick wall with Catherine McArthur
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 02:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I can see the online index has Mary's marriage as Mary MAKIN and Christopher DONELLY, registered Goulburn district, in 1864 #2052.

What surname for Elizabeth when she married in 1865?  Could it be MACCUM or MCCUM, and registered in the Yass district in 1865 #3506?

Do you have copy of, or official transcription of these two registrations?  I am wondering if there's elusive blanks on those documents... Perhaps may I suggest you have a read through the following thread (which is becoming quite long now) re how to overcome those blanks, as it should help with determining what first hand information the girls gave about their parents and themselves to the clergy on marrying.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=546609.0

I have a deal of paperwork for Carcoar and for Bowenfels for the penal and colonial eras, if you need lookups.

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 03:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you JM, I have a copy of Mary Makins marriage (bigamous) to Martin Adam wood and the minister was John Gibson, Presbyterian there is nothing else on it the marriage took place at Humewood nr Yass in September 1870. My GG grandfather went to Canberra and bigamously married Mary McDonald...although he was a Catholic so I expect he did not see either marriage as bigamous....or even real marriages.

Mary Makin is also a brick wall because her death is a complete mystery to me she must have died in Burrowa but I cannot find it. many thanks for your trouble. sharon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 03:44 BST (UK) »
Yes Elizabeth Makin had her name on her marriage cert as Maccum. elizabeth and her husband John Moore were also witnesses to Mary Donnellys marriage to Martin Wood in 1870.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 03:49 BST (UK) »
Mary and Elizabeth Makin had an older sister named Catherine Makin who married James Dallas at the Presbyterian church Manse by William Ross. this was in March 1867.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 03:51 BST (UK) »
So, about the 1864 and 1865 marriages,  what information is on the registrations for those marriages ... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 04:01 BST (UK) »
I am unable to find them just at the moment because I have a new computer....so it would require and extensive search. However, from what I can Remember the fathers name was unreadable, although an M was discernable. and they were married by the reverend W. Sowerby in October 1864

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 04:05 BST (UK) »
According to a descendant of Elizabeth Makin he has the certificate of Marriage to John Moore and she stated her mothers name was Catherine West.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 04:08 BST (UK) »
Instead of spending all your funds on real deal NSW BDM certificates, there's an option that is well recognised in family history groups and even used by commercial websites...  NSW BDM has appointed official transcribers.  All three are excellent.

Here's the NSW BDM webpage info about Transcription Agents:
Scroll down  :)
https://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/Pages/family-history/family-history.aspx

Here's RChat's NSW Resources Board including thread on Transcription Agents...
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=369703.0
and
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,300394.0.html

cheaper and comes as pdf  :) already transcribed by people who have long term experience in reading the clergy's scribble. 

JM