Author Topic: Smith Murray and Sinclair confusion  (Read 5665 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Smith Murray and Sinclair confusion
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 19 July 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
Depending on who the informant of the death was, if it was a neighbour or other then Alanna may have to purchase the original for 'Margaret' in 1841 I think?
I'm pretty sure it normally states on the original what the status was but looking at the fact the son is 'Head' would suggest she's a widow (I think)  :-\
If you are hoping to find out from the 1841 census whethere she was or was not a widow, you will be disappointed. The 1841 census does not record marital status or relationships. If you have the transcription from FreeCEN (NB NOT from A******y which is notorious for errors) you are extremely unlikely to get anything more from the original.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 19 July 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
Alanna if you check the Census in reply 6 I believe this is your family in 1851 with George still living so more than likely to be the death in 1858 also what is the address on the death cert for that George

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 19 July 18 09:03 BST (UK) »
I notice you have Isabella and William deaths these correspond to the births of George and Ann children do you have William death cert again who was the informant and what address is given as William is at home with his father in 1851

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 19 July 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
Rosinish - yes - I have George's death cert and have searched George and Ann's children and George and Margaret's children through Scotlandspeople - but my problem is there has to be two George's to have these families and I don't know both George's parents.  Obviously I have the one from the death cert - but it only says he was 'married' so don't know if that George was Margaret's husband or Ann's.  That is my problem.
Another question sorry do any of the children marry or die before 1858 on both families have you checked if they state if their father is deceased as I believe that George who married Margaret died before the 1841 census a good one to check would be William's death in 1856 and hopefully it was his father who was the informant

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 19 July 18 11:23 BST (UK) »
If you are hoping to find out from the 1841 census whethere she was or was not a widow, you will be disappointed. The 1841 census does not record marital status or relationships. If you have the transcription from FreeCEN (NB NOT from A******y which is notorious for errors) you are extremely unlikely to get anything more from the original.

Of course you're correct Forfarian...

I was sure I'd seen 'widow' on an 1841 (which I had) although not 'status' (as you say) but occupation...

MCINTYRE Sarah F 30 Farmers Widow Inverness-shire, South Uist

Piece: SCT1841/118 Place: South Uist -Inverness-shire Enumeration District: 16
Civil Parish: South Uist
Folio: 16 Page: 15
Address: North Boisdle (sic)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 19 July 18 14:15 BST (UK) »
Wendy, your message:

"I notice you have Isabella and William deaths these correspond to the births of George and Ann children do you have William death cert again who was the informant and what address is given as William is at home with his father in 1851"

I bought William's death cert in 1856 just now and it says his father George Smith, Fisherman, Findochty, Ann Smith maiden name, Sinclair.  William died at sea.  Informant was a 'Flett' nephew of the deceased.  George appears to still be alive 1856. George is deceased in Isabella's death cert in 1898.  I have tried searching the other male children to find their deaths but no real help there.  A couple of the women who I see in other trees have husbands I have checked and they die in the 1900s so that's no good either. 
We're trying our hardest aren't we - it's a hard one.
Anne
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 19 July 18 14:52 BST (UK) »
Wendy, your message:

"I notice you have Isabella and William deaths these correspond to the births of George and Ann children do you have William death cert again who was the informant and what address is given as William is at home with his father in 1851"

I bought William's death cert in 1856 just now and it says his father George Smith, Fisherman, Findochty, Ann Smith maiden name, Sinclair.  William died at sea.  Informant was a 'Flett' nephew of the deceased.  George appears to still be alive 1856. George is deceased in Isabella's death cert in 1898.  I have tried searching the other male children to find their deaths but no real help there.  A couple of the women who I see in other trees have husbands I have checked and they die in the 1900s so that's no good either. 
We're trying our hardest aren't we - it's a hard one.
Anne

The Flett nephew is his name William that would tie in with the 1851 census which shows George is still alive the death appears to show George still alive in 1856 To me that tells me you have probably got the right death for George in 1858 The only other record I can think of would be the 1851 census of Margaret to confirm she was a widow would which to me would be definite proof

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 19 July 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
In 1851 possible census again from Freecen
In Rathven address as Road Leading South
George 60 fisherman b Rathven married
Margaret dau 20 b Rathven unmarried
William son 18 b Rathven unmarried
William Smith grson 6 m b Rathven
William Flett grson 9 b Rathven

Just a reminder of that census & what looks to be William's baptism;

FLETT WILLIAM 26/05/1841
ALEXANDER FLETT/MARGT. SMITH (Parents)
164/30 169 Rathven

Agree with Wendy, pretty much seals it, remembering there were 2 daughters named Margaret i.e. the Margaret on the 1851 is not the mother of William as she's too young.

George & Ann
William b 1812-1856
Ann b 1815
Margaret b 1817 (likely mother of William Flett)?
Alexander b 1820
George b 1822
Isabella b 1825 (my 2nd gr grandmother)
James b 1827
Margaret b 1829
William b 1831
John b 1834
Joseph b 1837

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 20 July 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Wendy sorry no - its not William Flett informant on William Smith's death.  It is badly written but I think it is Alexr. Flett.  It actually looks like Kefr.  Unfortunately the three deaths on that page were all drowned in the same storm and Alexr. (if that is it) is the informant on all three.  Actually now I read it again - again badly written, I can see it is actually 'neighbour' not 'nephew' on all three.  I hadn't noticed he was on all three before.
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords