Author Topic: Martha Emery (1846-1901)  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Emery (1846-1901)
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 July 18 21:28 BST (UK) »
Struggling to find Martha’s birth though 🙄

Same here  ???

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 July 18 21:30 BST (UK) »
UD is Urban District.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
  • It's always good to share!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 21 July 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much to everyone for your kind help.  Apologies for not replying sooner - I have been away for a couple of days.

I will get to work on piecing together all the wonderful pointers, facts and advice.

Nic
Berkshire: Clarke, Croxford, Eustace
Bilston, Staffordshire: Dean
Devon: Blackmore, Matthews
Gwyddelwern, Betws GG, Denbighshire: Davies, Evans
Glamorgan: Dean, Matthews
Hull: Grant, Nicholson, Patterson, White
Newcastle: Patterson
Shafton, Yorkshire: Miles, Moulson,
Wiltshire: Emery

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 29 July 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
I am now back from holiday.  Thank you everyone for your help, especially ....

JJen: Thank you for the 1901 information - Martha's son George Holloway Dean is only living a few doors away on the same street so this seems right.  Some concerns would be that I have her death in Cardiff as 15th September 1901 living at Harriet Street and buried at St Andrew's in Cardiff rather than in Tylorstown;  her birth is shown as Cardiff rather than Llanfingel; the surname gaining an extra "e" at the end is less of an issue.  I have added the detail to my tree as "possible" until I check the births for Percy, Archie and Sydney.

Ladyhawk: Thank you for the 1901 information.  Alfred is a new name for me.  Does also seem strange that Percy and Archibald are the same age.  One to explore further, especially finding the birth records.  Thank you for the 1871 census - fortunately I already had a copy of this.  Thank you for the clarification of UD - really useful and a lesson to me to check Genuki! Thank you for the information regarding the possible marriage between John and Elizabeth.  I have found the parish transcription giving the date as 30 July 1838 (I guess just creeping into Q3), however, in the transciptions the residence is Bristol (I was expecting Malmesbury).  With regards to Adolphus, on Martha's death cert is an A Emery (brother) so I think it is safe to assume that this is Adolphus.

Cath151: Thank you for the 1861 spot.  This seems a probable especially given the age and birth location.

Deidre784: Thank for the information on Charles.  I had the baptism (George Street) but not the Newport index reference.  Thank you also for Michael's details - I already had a copy of the Death cert, will and probate.  Interestingly, he dies in 1886 but probate wasn't given until 1905.  Your information on Michaelston vs Llanfihangel was really useful.  Thank you also for backing up the marriage although the Bristol residence gives me a small doubt.

Mabel Bagshawe:  I agree, Michael certainly had his ups and downs.  Quite surprising really, as his father was a very successful (and quite wealthy) pawnbroker in Bilston.

Unfortunately still not able to find Martha's birth!

Offline Sikes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 August 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
Martha is my gg grandmother (teach3r - we've been in touch via PM previously).

I didn’t know Michaelston-y-Fedw is Llanfihangel-y-Fedw in Welsh, that is very useful.

Michael Holloway Dean's father owned an ironworks (mainly producing Japanned metal) as well as a pawnbrokers. One of Michael's brothers emigrated to New Zealand and also lived in Tahiti for a few years. Another brother stayed in Bilston as a Japanner.

I was told the law changed in the UK in the mid 1800s, you had to be qualified to dispense drugs. Is it likely Michael couldn't afford the required qualifications? This might explain why so many of the children were born in different places? He had a chemists at 8 Millicent Street in Cardiff.

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 August 18 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Sikes,

Thank you for the reply and for the information you kindly gave me 8 years ago.  My progress so far is that I have Martha's parents John Emery (born abt. 1816 Malmesbury and in Cardiff from the 1861 census onwards) and Elizabeth Kendall (born abt 1819 Tetbury - died before 1891).  I have no baptism, marriage or death for either at present.

I have Michael Holloway Dean's parents John Dean (b. 1804 Bilston - d. 1856 Bilston) and Mary Anne Holloway (born abt. 1806 Staffordshire - died before 1851).  They married 24 May 1825.  John's will is very lengthy and informative.

I haven't managed to get any further back yet with any of these branches.  Also as this thread shows, I haven't been able to get Martha's birth cert.

Any more help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Nic