Author Topic: Chailey, Sussex  (Read 767 times)

Offline sandym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Chailey, Sussex
« on: Friday 20 July 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
Trying to find information relating to Chailey with particular interest in Chailey Heritage Hospital during WW2. Does anyone have recollections of these years? Any personal recollections would be helpful. I was sent there in 1944 and have very few memories.
Greenslade, Bristol & East London;  Mitchell, Worthing, Strood (Kent), Cranbrook (Kent), Cambridgeshire, East London; Hobley, Wells

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Chailey, Sussex
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 18 08:21 BST (UK) »
Have you contacted them?    I have a feeling there was a book published recently.  In fact, if you google it, there are two.  One by David Arscott and a recent one by Ros Black.

Offline sandym

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 July 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
I did actually contact Chailey Heritage some time ago asking if they held any of the war years records and they referred me to the Sussex Archives at Lewes but had no success. They had records for all years up to 1943 but the 1944/45 ones had gone missing. Nobody explained why!

I was thinking that maybe there was somebody still alive that would recall those years but I guess, as I am now 79- they are all long gone. Thanks for the book titles which are now ordered.
Greenslade, Bristol & East London;  Mitchell, Worthing, Strood (Kent), Cranbrook (Kent), Cambridgeshire, East London; Hobley, Wells

Offline crozier

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past another country? Where's my passport?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 August 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
just found this for you-"East Sussex Record Office, The Keep, Woollards Way, Brighton BN1 9BP has extensive records in admissions and discharges for Chailey, 1903-1945"   Hope it helps!   c ;D
Abbott, Surrey&London. Criswell/Cresswell, Painswick Gloucestershire. MacKenzie, Midlothian&London. King, the Tarrant Valley Dorset&London. Foreman, West Ham. Peters, Bolney/Lewes Sussex&London. Sandgrove, West Ham. Sundgren,Sweden.