Author Topic: "Ignoring" Ancestry hints  (Read 1203 times)

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Ignoring" Ancestry hints
« on: Saturday 21 July 18 00:27 BST (UK) »
I have found, from hints, several useful public trees which include my easily-identifiable ancestor, but some trees are offered which have people of the right names but from other places; I have tried to dispose of the irrelevant trees by clicking on the 'select tree' box then on the 'cancel' box, but the tree stays up. I know Ancestry has another 'ignore' function which works well, but it doesn't seem to be an option in this respect. Can some kind Chatter help me to stop meeting the irrelevant trees again and again?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: "Ignoring" Ancestry hints
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 18 00:57 BST (UK) »
I think what you have to so is select the trees you want to keep then follow the steps to add the info that is on their tree if its' the same as yours it won't change anything only add those trees as sources then go back to the hints and click ignore the actual hint rather than the individual trees if you want to keep the relevant ones or just click ignore for all the tree hint if that makes sense

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
I ignore ALL the Ancestry Tree Hints - unless  I want to add a lot of children onto a couple quickly, and I know what's there is correct.

Just click on Ignore in the hints list. You can always go back to have a later look, on the person's Hints page, under "Ignored".
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 18 13:18 BST (UK) »
I have a quick glance to see whether there's any possibly useful info, particularly if there may be children born less than 100 years ago which are less easy to find.

I don't accept or reject any info from trees.  I simply leave them there as a possible hint.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
I'll often look at them,  if I'm at a loose end ... may even have a look at that public tree if the hint concerns someone I've not a lot about, to see how they relate, but more often it's simply a glance ... sometimes with an exasperated "How did they get THAT!" when there's some obviously incorrect information, or highly suspect links.
And very rarely, if the mistake is close to home, and annoys me, I'll communicate.....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your helpful advice; I now feel a little more in control over the sometimes fatuous advices  :).