Author Topic: Hugill help please (JACKSON)  (Read 1600 times)

Offline ancestryhasitslimits

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugill help please (JACKSON)
« on: Saturday 21 July 18 10:10 BST (UK) »
This is one of those where I know the end of the story, but haven't a clue about the beginning. It concerns Thomas Jackson, whom I'll call "my TJ" in the hope it might improve clarity.

The earliest known census fix for my TJ  is in 1871, by which time he has definitely wandered over to the west coast of what was then Cumberland. He is living at 3 Tail End, Beckermet, then in the parish of Haile, with his wife (the former Hannah Rigg of Muncaster) and their young family. He describes himself as a 'sawyer of wood' from Strictland, Cumberland (no such place, as far as I know!). This location wavers in later censuses to Hugill (1881) and Ings (1891). His occupation and DOB stay reasonably consistent, including his GRO death registration in Apr-Jun 1892 (Bootle).

In other words my TJ almost certainly came from somewhere near Staveley, b.abt 1830.

Possible census sightings from earlier include:
1861: a TJ from Staveley visiting the Lindale family in Nether Wasdale. Listed as a 'mechanicks' - possibly fixing bobbin or saw mill machinery?
1851: a TJ from Westmorland boarding with Betty Leece (Hannah Rigg's aunt) in Broad Oak. Listed as a bobbin turner.
1841 (Option 1): a TJ aged 11 from Westmorland lodging with joiner John Gibson and his wife (nee Jackson) in Ambleside; (Option 2): a TJ aged 14 with parents and brothers at Goose Howe, Hugill.

I wouldn't normally give much credence to my 1841 Option 2 above, because of the age discrepancy, but:
1. I can't find any other trace of my TJ's parents.
2. The location might (just) be described as Ings (baptism place?) and Staveley (nearest village) as well as Hugill, although I still struggle with 'Strictland' (Strickland Ketel, maybe?).
3. My TJ called his first two children Robert and Agnes, which just happen to be the names of the parents at Goose Howe.
4. One of the brothers, Christopher, was also a bobbin turner - he went to Longtown.

Can anyone help me solve this conundrum?

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hugill help please (JACKSON)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 18 10:25 BST (UK) »
The marriage of Hannah Rigg and Thomas Jackson is on freebmd and recorded in the Dec 1863 quarter in Bootle Reg Dist.  I cant find a copy online but obtaining the marriage certificate should give his father's name which might help sort your 1841 conundrum.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 18 10:31 BST (UK) »
fs has a baptism Staveley 16 June 1833 for a Thomas Jackson, parents Thomas and Elizabeth

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline ancestryhasitslimits

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
Pheno,
Thanks. I agree, but this is a project I'm working on (voluntarily) for someone else, so I'd like to gather as much information as I can from free sources before I issue a shopping list for certificates. I was secretly hoping someone might have access to the Hugill and Muncaster registers. ;)

Emeltom,
Thanks to you too. I saw that one but decided it was a little too late. It doesn't help that more than half the population of Westmorland and Cumberland had surnames ending in -son!

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 18 10:40 BST (UK) »
You could post a request for a lookup of the marriage entry on the Cumberland board in the hope that someone could do a look up for you.

If so add a link to this post.

Otherwise if this entry has not been digitised then your only option is to purchase a certificate.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Fiona Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 September 19 12:24 BST (UK) »
I'm new to this site and geneology so I'm finding my way around by looking at other people's posts and found yours interesting because I'm from Lancashire and know a little about its history.

I too confine my research to what's online and free.

I recognised the place Ings because its on our route to the Lake District. I also felt that if Strickland, Cumberland was stated on an official register then its more likely to exist than not.

I think if you take a look at The Old Cumbria Gazetteer online you can find a wealth of information about all of the places you've mentioned, including Strickland (great or little), Ings, Goose Howe and several bobin Mills around your area of interest.

It's not beyond possibility that there maybe records of employees at the Mills or in their workers cottages.

If you know your ancestors religion then this will greatly narrow down your search.

People generally get buried at their families church and in Cumbria people carried their dead up and down mountain and across stream to their place of burial. Hence the prevelance of stepping stones across streams in Cumbria.

As an aside, but interesting is that when William Wordsworth lived at Dove Cottage his landlord lived at Tail End
 :)

Watson, Scotland /Dixon, Lancashire /Sheppard, Rogers & Slevin, mostly around Netheravon & Figheldean

Offline Kim Nicholls

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 February 21 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Ive just come across this thread, as I am also searching for Thomas Jackson (my g grandfather).
The Thomas who is Option 1 (living with the Gibons in 1941) is my g grandfather who was born in 1830 in Ambleside.
I can not find him in the 1851 Census, but he married my g grandmother (Sarah Ann Mouncey) in 1857 in Manchester. Thomas Gibon (who is a year younger in the 1841 Census) was a witness at the marriage.
Thomas's father was also named Thomas, but I dont know who his mother was.
I dont think this Thomas is the one your tracing but it may help you in the right direction.
Kim  :)