Author Topic: Amalgamation of Information Dominic Michael Stringer  (Read 2898 times)

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amalgamation of Information Dominic Michael Stringer
« on: Saturday 21 July 18 18:16 BST (UK) »
I am attempting torearrange the information I have discovered on my father in law  into a more rational format. I intend to post the same information onto the Irish thread here on rootschat and more information about his war experience in the appropriate forum Here is all I know of his early life:
Name:       Dominic Michael Stringer
born:    14/4/1919 or 1922.  We have not been able to find a birth certificate in spite
                of trying every bmd website on line)
Married:    Evelyn Genevieve Agard 30/1/1943 Bridgetown Cathedral, Barbados
Died:   11/1986 Tower Hamlets, London
Mother    Unknown
Father:    John Patrick Stringer
Siblings:    Elder brother “Jack” possibly others
             He said he was brought up in Maryhill, Glasgow by his grandmother and he had a strong Glaswegian accent.  He claimed he was one of twins – other twin and mother died in childbirth.   He attended St. Joseph’s primary School and may have attended St. Aloysius College (he claimed he ran away when he found they were trying to make him a priest).  Although raised a Catholic he supported Rangers football team.  He knew a number for professional Glaswegian boxers and footballers. Other people he knew from Glasgow were John, Mary and Joe Gough.  He claimed he got into “trouble” and “Jack” helped him get away from Glasgow (date unknown).  In Glasgow he was known as Micky or Michael Stringer.

NOTHING ELSE IS KNOWN ABOUT DOMINIC’S EARLY LIFE.

I am trying to find out how did he get out of Glasgow? 
Did he sign on to the Merchant Navy under his brother’s name? 
By February1942 he was in Singapore - how did he get there?
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Amalgamation of Information Dominic Michael Stringer
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 July 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
14/4/1919 or 1922.  We have not been able to find a birth certificate in spite of trying every bmd website on line)
Because he was born less than 100 years ago, and the Irish birth records are closed for 100 years.

Why not go to https://www.irishgenealogy.ie and look for the birth(s) of (an) elder sibling(s)?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 July 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
See previous re this http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=751945.msg6003719#msg6003719
Several other threads as well
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 18 18:56 BST (UK) »

Why not go to https://www.irishgenealogy.ie and look for the birth(s) of (an) elder sibling(s)?

Sorry Forfarian,

Have tried that too without success
Daisy1942
Deavin London and France

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 18 19:24 BST (UK) »
Any idea who his grandmother was?

She could be in the 1930/35 Valuations, find her death and you might find him as the informant on the registration.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 July 18 11:03 BST (UK) »
Have been having another look at this and pretty convinced there are links to an extended family in Bawnboy,Leitrim.
There is mention in earlier threads of a Francis Stringer age 32, born Ballinamore, Leitrim,who was convicted at Sligo in 1911 and gives a brother Thomas in Glasgow as next of kin. This Thomas married Sarah O’Donnell in Glasgow in 1912. They had a number of children at least one of whom ( Annie Cannon Stringer, died young. Thomas died in Glasgow ( 1217 Gallowgate) in 1964 given as age 81, married to Annie O’Donnell. Parents Francis Stringer, Labourer and Annie Cannon. Pretty sure this is the Thomas Stringer born in 1889 in Bawnboy to Francis Stringer and Ann Cannon. This same Francis was previously married to Maria Cannon and was also the father of Francis ( the convict) who was born in 1878 in Bawnboy. So Thomas and Francis were half brothers. Maria died in 1888 in Bawnboy and I can’t find a subsequent marriage to Ann Cannon, but they had a number of children between 1889 and 1895, however only two of these (Kate born 1894 and Thomas 1889 )seem to have survived childhood. Francis died in Bawnboy in 1900 age 75 and Ann Stringer ( age 40) is living at Lahard, Bawnboy in 1901 with Kate and Thomas.
There has also been mention elsewhere of Francis Stringer born Leitrim 1920 who appears in Merchant Seaman records. Possible link to Francis Stephen Stringer born Bawnboy 1920. I have now found some intriguing news reports of a Francis Stringer age 19 in 1939, born Leitrim who was a soldier with the Royal Irish Fusiliers based in Jersey. See attached news snip from the Belfast Newsletter 24 June 1939. Francis (Frank) had soldier number 7043206 and if you check military records on Findmypast there are various records of him ( and accomplice Brady) being prisoners of war.
There has also been some discussion about John Stringer and wife Alice nee Smyth who were married in 1907. He was the son ( born 1879) of Francis Stringer and Mary Carroll. This is not the same Francis as was married to Maria and Ann Cannon ( this one died in 1886 age 75) but the families all
lived in close proximity to one another and were surely related. John and Alice had some children who are recorded in the records that are currently available. Are they also the parents of Kate born 1917, Francis Stephen born 1920 and Patrick Joseph born 1922 at Bawnboy? Alice Stringer died in 1924 age 47 ( death certificate viewable at irishgenealogy.ie). John Stringer died in 1941.
Not sure how all of this hangs together or even if it is relevant but putting it out there in case others can add to it.
Isobel

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 July 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
I think I have worked out who Joe Gough and family were. A Patrick Joseph Gough died in Tower Hamlets in 1991 with a birthdate of 29th Jan 1931. This ties in with the birth of a Patrick Joseph Gough in 1931 in Milton, Glasgow. There are also births in 1920 of a John Welsh Gough and 1921 of a Mary Welsh Gough. This is where it gets confusing. Probably linking to the marriage in 1915 of Hugh Gough to Mary Welsh or 1920 to the marriage of Philip Gough to Annie Welsh. Philip and Hugh appear to be brothers. Looking at Valuation Rolls on Scotlandspeople and Voters Rolls on Findmypast it looks as if Hugh and Mary Gough and Philip and Annie Gough all lived in Farnell  Street,which is a stone’s throw from Raglan Street.
Hugh Gough died in 1957 in Milton Glasgow age 63. Wife Mary died in 1982 in Glasgow age 85. Mary Welsh Gough married Joseph Hunter in 1943 and died in 1988 age 67. John Welsh Gough married Mary Jane Morrow in 1941 in Possilpark. His marriage certificate confirms him as a son of Philip and Annie.
Isobel

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 18 20:46 BST (UK) »
Have been having another look at this ......
Not sure how all of this hangs together or even if it is relevant but putting it out there in case others can add to it.
Isobel

Hi Isobelw,
Thans for drawing the parallels here betweenScotland and Ireland.  I had not quite made the connection that way.  I need to go back over my own nnotes with your message in front of me to see how it all fits together - there is reason to think this could well be the line that I have been missing -- thank you  ;D

Deavin London and France

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
I think I have worked out who Joe Gough and family were. A Patrick Joseph Gough died in Tower Hamlets in 1991 with a birthdate of 29th Jan 1931. This ties in with the birth of a Patrick Joseph Gough in 1931 in Milton, Glasgow. There are also births in 1920 of a John Welsh Gough and 1921 of a Mary Welsh Gough. This is where it gets confusing. Probably linking to the marriage in 1915 of Hugh Gough to Mary Welsh or 1920 to the marriage of Philip Gough to Annie Welsh. Philip and Hugh appear to be brothers. Looking at Valuation Rolls on Scotlandspeople and Voters Rolls on Findmypast it looks as if Hugh and Mary Gough and Philip and Annie Gough all lived in Farnell  Street,which is a stone’s throw from Raglan Street.
Hugh Gough died in 1957 in Milton Glasgow age 63. Wife Mary died in 1982 in Glasgow age 85. Mary Welsh Gough married Joseph Hunter in 1943 and died in 1988 age 67. John Welsh Gough married Mary Jane Morrow in 1941 in Possilpark. His marriage certificate confirms him as a son of Philip and Annie.
Isobel
Hi again Isobelw
You are a gem!!  Yes the joe Gough that died in Towe Hamelys in 1991 is the younest of the Gough's that Dad knew :D  I knew the Gough family had connections with Milton but had been unable to connect them with Maryhill/ Raglan Street.  This links it all together superbly and is the biggest chunk of confirmed information I have had in several years.  Thank You SOO Much!

Now to see if I can connect the Irish and Scottis Stringers you mentioned

Cheers,
Daisy1942
Deavin London and France