Author Topic: Royston - Where's Jack!  (Read 2207 times)

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Royston - Where's Jack!
« on: Sunday 22 July 18 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hi I was wondering if anyone can help solve a mystery or at least give some clues. I am trying to trace a girl who we know as Paddy. She had a child with a Prisone of War stationed at Royston Heath POW Camp.The baby was born 1944-45 and was called Jack. Father Ildebrando Varrusion was repatriated back to Italy. His family now want to try and trace Jack. Cannot find a birth certificate for Jack (yet!) but we have photos. Ildebrando worked on a farm (maybe Newmarket Road area) so does anyone recognise the farmhouse from the photo I have tried to find a map of Royston or a Trade Directory online but no such luck. I thought I could maybe find a family member (child) who would remember the Italians working there. I know it's a long shot  ???but it is all I have to go on. Gaynor

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Royston - Where's Jack!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 July 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry photos didn't add. Will post agian

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 July 18 15:56 BST (UK) »
If they weren't married then the baby was likely registered under the mothers surname - if only we knew what it was. 

Paddy one automatically thinks Irish. 

As she could still be alive it would be best to take down the picture of her (no living people rule)
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 July 18 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Millipede
I think, according to family, that she would be over 100 now, Jack in his 70's.I think the only way this Italian man Guiseppe will ever find anything is by sheer luck. I am hoping to contacy as many sites/groups/family hist soc etc in the hope it will go viral and someone recognises the photos/farm.

My next step (a long haul) is to go through the birth registers for Hertfordshire and look at all the Jacks born in and around Royston 1944-45 looking for single mothers :'( I just can't think of any other way to do this.
Guiseppe has been searching for 10 years with no luck mind you he is in Italy and not experienced so I offered to help him as I think it is sooo sad.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 July 18 17:42 BST (UK) »
She was in the medical branch of the WAAF.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 July 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks medpat
 I was wondering about that but haven't done any army/navy/raf records before.. I posted the pic on a WW2 site but nobody got back to me on that. This makes a lot of sense. Ildebrando had an accident and was sent to hospital at Littleport (RAF) hospital. Maybe she worked there and that's how she met him.

Maybe I should try and find the records for Littleport Hospital if there is any.

Offline GAYNORI

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 July 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
Even if I had her surname it is only her direct descendants who can ask for service records ::) If I had her surname then I could have contacted them if she married. I am wondering now whether Littleport Hospital kept records of patients but this is unlikely esp. for POW. Every thing leads to a dead end.
Someone said open a Facebook Page called Where's Jack and try to share & make it go viral but not even sure if that would work :-\
Anybody got any other ideas please before I pull out any more of my hair lol
Thanks Gaynor

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
I really don't want to make this any more difficult than it already is, but … have you considered that his given name might be John (or something else entirely   :( ) , and that he was "called" Jack? 

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 July 18 18:15 BST (UK) »
Easy when you know. The RAF eagle is at the top of the right arm/shoulder area so she would be WAAF in WW2.

The lapel badges like that are only worn by medical staff. They would have been brass. She wasn't a nurse wrong hat and she'd be an officer. She was a medic able to do basic things like dressings.

I was a dental WRAF working in medical centres, I wore different badges but I saw the medical ones daily  ;D
GEDmatch M157477