Author Topic: German grandmother  (Read 2354 times)

Offline smayne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: German grandmother
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 18:53 BST (UK) »
I think you misunderstood my posting. If your Great grandmother was born in Osterode Harz (Niedersachsen) there is no use looking for her in Osterode Ostpreussen.

Regards Peonie

I know Osterode is in Neidersachsen but I do recall that back in the time of Bismark and conflict the USA was quick to acknowlege that immigrants to their country were from "Prussia" and I'm assuming that as familysearch is in the USA it is using old fashioned historical terms.

There's a portal here for more research:-

https://www.archion.de/de/archive-in-archion/niedersachsen/landeskirchliches-archiv-der-ev-luth-kirche-in-braunschweig/

Offline smayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 19:03 BST (UK) »
I think you misunderstood my posting. If your Great grandmother was born in Osterode Harz (Niedersachsen) there is no use looking for her in Osterode Ostpreussen.

Regards Peonie

Offline smayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 19:12 BST (UK) »
    i only have a photo in connection with this side of family, the details i have are written by hand , which is why i know the birth date, unfortunately she has only given her initial f kessler.   then osterode and again some initails or maybe it is a name, i cant see exactly but it looks like oftpw  the letters o and t are clear,, any ideas. thankyou

Offline smayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 19:13 BST (UK) »
    i only have a photo in connection with this side of family, the details i have are written by hand , on back of photo...which is why i know the birth date, unfortunately she has only given her initial f kessler.   then osterode and again some initails or maybe it is a name, i cant see exactly but it looks like oftpw  the letters o and t are clear,, any ideas. thankyou

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
When people migrate they often knew somebody who had already settled in the new country and you'll find pockets of similar nationality citizens eventually organised a church for themselves.  I suspect you live in Canada. I don't know about Catholic churches but the Hanover Ev. Lutheran church records are excellent.  Have you found any Canadian Ev. Lutheran church records of the descendants of F Kessler, or the church record of her death, the latter should show the names of her parents.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 21:45 BST (UK) »
Who did F kessler marry?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smayne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 22:13 BST (UK) »
there is no connection to canada ,,, and i have no details who she married, she was grandmother to my father, who emigrated to uk,  there was no family contact, just  the photo , so thats all info i have
 i looked on ancestry but cant find census for kessler osterode  ,thankyou 

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 23:03 BST (UK) »
there is no connection to canada ,,, and i have no details who she married, she was grandmother to my father, who emigrated to uk,  there was no family contact, just  the photo , so thats all info i have
 i looked on ancestry but cant find census for kessler osterode  ,thankyou

Surfing the web shows that there are five churches in Osterode. Have you contacted your local Church of Latter Day Saints FHS to ask if they have a/any film(s) you can view?

The safest method of tracing ancestors is to work backwards generation by generation finding birth/baptism; marriage and death records.  It would assist if you knew the first one or two names given by the witnesses at the baptism of F. Kessler, which would eliminate any other F. Kessler baptised on the same date.

This familysearch webpage sets out why the record you want is not yet online.  One overriding reason why some records will never be available is that they were destroyed during the war.

https://www.familysearch.org/ask/faq#overview
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 23:25 BST (UK) »

Do you have your grandmother's birth certificate which may(?) give her mother's full name?

Where was your grandmother born? If I were you I would be looking for her birth certificate. Birth certificates generally give both mother and father's names.

If the family moved to the UK, depending on dates, have you checked the censuses?

Re reading, I think I may have misunderstood. Can I confirm? ....
F. Kessler is your father's grandmother?
It was only your father who moved to the UK?  :-\