Author Topic: George Alderson of Arkengarthdale married Scyth Scott of Bowes, Bowes, 1737  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Going through some old notes I have found a reference to the above marriage but no mention of where I found the information. Trying to check it out, I have found the marriage but no reference to the parishes of residence of  George and Scyth. Would someone be able to check to see if that information is available please?

I would also be interested to know if anyone has any information on the origins of the name Scyth (also spelt Scythe /Sithey). It is a name appearing several times in my family, the last appearance being with Scythe Mudd born I Langthwaite in 1835. It is said that it is from St Osgyth, but she seems a rather obscure Essex saint for a peculiarly Yorkshire name.
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: George Alderson of Arkengarthdale married Scyth Scott of Bowes, Bowes, 1737
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 08:43 BST (UK) »
F M P has the image in parish registers for Arkengarthdale for this entry.  It is just a one line entry giving only date & names

ADDED The image is not clear but I would say her name is probably Cicely
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 10:06 BST (UK) »
F M P has the image in parish registers for Arkengarthdale for this entry.  It is just a one line entry giving only date & names

ADDED The image is not clear but I would say her name is probably Cicely

FindMyPast have also transcribed her forename as Cicely.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 13:50 BST (UK) »
I did some research for a friend whose ancestors were from North Yorkshire. They were RC -- and the name of a wife which carried on down the family for some time was 'Osyth'

At her marriage in 1784 her name had been shortened to 'Syth'.

From another Rootschatter, as I had never heard this name before -- I discovered that Osyth had been the name of a Saint -- and as the family lived near Skeeby, where a sacred Well or Chantry had been dedicated to St Osyth -- it was thought her name may have been taken from the Saint.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all your replies, and apologies for not answering before now.

Thank you first for confirming my suspicion that in transcribing my very rough notes I mixed up two entries and thus gave the couple birth parishes not in the original. A pity - it would have been an interesting link between the 2 parishes. Scythe Mudd  of Arkengarthdale (who was born in 1834 not 1835 as I first said) married George Alderson from Bowes and I was wondering whether the two of them might be distantly related.

Thank you also for your ideas on  the name Scyth. I didn't know of the existence of a well/chantry dedicated to Osyth and I have often walked in the fields round there. I must study the map carefully. Skeeby church is dedicated to Agatha, like Easby, but that will be a much later connection. Scyth Alderson nee Mudd, my g.g.grandmother, conveniently lived a long life bearing many children and appearing in many census reports so I have plenty examples of the different spellings of her name - Scythea, Sythe (on her marriage certificate), and Scyth. On one census transcripton she became Lydia. Round Romaldkirk and Baldersdale, where the name occurs several times, I have also found Scithia, Syth and Sithy.
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell