Author Topic: 1939 Register general enquiry.  (Read 1830 times)

Offline thelarch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 Register general enquiry.
« on: Wednesday 25 July 18 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hello All

I'm not a regular user of this board but the last time I tried, I was bowled over by generous response.

So here goes.

I'm searching the 1939 register for an individual. I've found their name, but see it's been 'crossed out' with green ink and altered (amended) with another name.
I know the person in question remarried some 15 years later. Could the 1939 register have been 'corrected' to reflect the new married name all those years later or would the correction have been a lot earlier (maybe a reversion to a maiden surname after a divorce in the period ~1939...or something?)
I can provide a link to the individual in question if needs be, but really it's just a general question regarding a 'correction' to see what this may signify.

Thanks in anticipation.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register general enquiry.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
The 1939 register was used and updated by the NHS until the early 1990's

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
A good tip is to always read the instructions and/or information on any source before using it for the first time, there are explanations  on both Ancestry and Findmypast about the 1939 Register. You can save yourself time and effort if you do that, and there is less chance of you otherwise missing a vital piece of information which could help your research.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline thelarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 10:59 BST (UK) »
The 1939 register was used and updated by the NHS until the early 1990's

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/1939-register/

From FindMyPast...

7. Why do some entries show the married names of women who did not marry until long after 1939?
The Register was continually updated while National Registration was in force, when it was a legal requirement to notify the registration authorities of any change of name or address. This ended in 1952, but since 1948 the Register had also been used by the National Health Service, who continued updating the records until 1991, when paper-based record keeping was discontinued.

Changes of name for any reason were recorded; in practice this was mostly when women changed their surnames on marriage or re-marriage, but also includes changes of name for any other reason, such as by deed poll.

The majority of these name changes appear in the indexes so you can search for a person using either their name in 1939 or any subsequent name.

Looks like the register was updated with her married surname after her marriage in 1953.

Thanks for the info.

Offline thelarch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 11:07 BST (UK) »
A good tip is to always read the instructions and/or information on any source before using it for the first time, there are explanations  on both Ancestry and Findmypast about the 1939 Register. You can save yourself time and effort if you do that, and there is less chance of you otherwise missing a vital piece of information which could help your research.

Good advice. Thanks.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 June 19 01:30 BST (UK) »
   Were some people able to have all of their details kept out of the 1939 register?    One of my uncles seems to be completely missing, as does my grandfather.

If so, how did they get their ID cards and ration books during WWII?

I suppose one line of approach would be to try and find the address and then see who is listed in that street.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 June 19 02:24 BST (UK) »
   Were some people able to have all of their details kept out of the 1939 register?    One of my uncles seems to be completely missing, as does my grandfather.

If so, how did they get their ID cards and ration books during WWII?

I suppose one line of approach would be to try and find the address and then see who is listed in that street.

Were they in the military as that is one reason why they may not have been included - see link

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 June 19 03:59 BST (UK) »

Were they in the military as that is one reason why they may not have been included - see link

No not at all.    One a Town surveyor and so on the Council and was at one time the Fire Chief, the other just my grandfather, long retired at that time.    It is possible that he was staying with his son the Surveyor when they were being listed.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 June 19 05:21 BST (UK) »
   I have had at long last some success and have found my Grandad at least in the 1939 register.   I only subscribe to Ancestry at the moment, so didn't hold out much hope in scratching the surface at FindMyPast.   

Anyway this procedure may help others as it has worked for me.

FindMyPast have a 1939 Street Finder - you just have to move the button from 'person' to 'address' and then type in the Urban District name, and then the street address.

I knew from an old photo that Grandad once lived at 14 Valley View Grove in Bradford - that address is written below a photo of my Gran sitting on a chair in the front garden.

This is what came up - https://www.findmypast.com.au/transcript/preview?id=TNA/R39/3353/3353G/009/04     

A very strange name Herbert E Hulton.    I tried that in Ancestry but got no result.  So went back to FindMyPast and looked up no.12 Valley View Grove and tried the name that appeared for that address in Ancestry, and BINGO - up came the page with my grandad - correct occupation - 'Retired Surveyor' and I could see how they got his names so wrong.

Now thinking cap back on to see if I can find my Uncle Tom.
Tassie, Greenshields