Author Topic: Were any of your ancestors buried at the Queens Road Cemetery in East Grinstead?  (Read 3246 times)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Were any of your ancestors buried at the Queens Road Cemetery in East Grinstead?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 11 November 18 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phil

Sarah should receive an email notification that you have posted and hopefully come back to you soon with some answers.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline forester

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Were any of your ancestors buried at the Queens Road Cemetery in East Grinstead?
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 11 November 18 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Dawn. Romilly and hallmark for your replies.

The link to the cemetery MIs had completely slipped from my mind. I see there is one identifiable Gatton grave from the 1920's.

It is twenty years since I last lived in East Grinstead and surrounds, although I still have family connections in the area.

Phil
Sussex: Satcher (Hamsey) and Gatton (East Grinstead)
Leicestershire: Pratt
South Wales: Evans (Neath)
Poland: Gonet, Deren

Forest Row: War Memorial and Camp WW1
Lewisham War Memorials & WW1 Graves

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 12 November 18 10:26 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a automatic message back from Sarah to say she is unable to reply to emails until Monday 19th November.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 12 November 18 10:29 GMT (UK) »

Thanks for letting us know Sarah.

Best Wishes, Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline PayneCrawfurd

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 09:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sarah,

I have just found this post by chance on the Internet and promptly registered with RootsChat so I could add to it. I look forward to learning more about your plans for starting a 'Friends of East Grinstead Cemeteries'.

Arthur

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 April 19 10:12 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

Have only just seen this post. A couple of years ago I helped with a query on here ref burials in EG.

We found the husband about 10 ft to the left of the door of the parish church. The wife though seems to be buried in Queens rd cemetary.

But in one of several mass graves, these are marked with a simple small block with a no. There appears to be no record of who is in these mass graves despite a long search.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 April 19 11:39 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

Have only just seen this post. A couple of years ago I helped with a query on here ref burials in EG.

We found the husband about 10 ft to the left of the door of the parish church. The wife though seems to be buried in Queens rd cemetary.

But in one of several mass graves, these are marked with a simple small block with a no. There appears to be no record of who is in these mass graves despite a long search.

John915

Good Morning John,

I think that this must be my Pattenden/Dyer family Burials that you mention.

William Pattenden, (Died 1865) is Buried in St Luke's Churchyard, East Grinstead and his Wife Amelia Pattenden in Queen's Road. Their 5yr old Grandaughter Mary Charlotte Dyer was later Buried in the same grave as Amelia, and so I assumed that this must have been a definate grave?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 12 April 19 13:54 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon,

Those names ring a bell somewhere at the back of my mind Romilly. If I remember correctly I sent or posted photo's of Williams grave but was unable to access the cemetary to search for Amelia's.

It was during my search that I found out about the mass graves. These were used for paupers or others buried by the parish, these were not burials of hundreds but maybe up to10 per grave. Whilst it is known who many of them are records were lost or not correctly kept as to who is in which grave. I don't recall what info I was able to let you have before if any.

My interest is piqued again now so will search again.

John915

Added; friends in East Grinstead tell me it is or was possible to gain access from Orchard Way or the park at the west end. It seems people have done this in the past to have a look around without paying, somewhat illicitly. It may not be possible since the chapels were converted into 4 flats and there is an active presence there now 24/7.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)