Author Topic: 759596 Sgt George Keiller MM  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
759596 Sgt George Keiller MM
« on: Wednesday 25 July 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
I am currently undertaking research into the above who lived in Keir Hardie Street, Methil.   George was born  in April 1905, the son on of John Keiller and Mary Russell. He married Susan Cowan Potter on the 12 September 1930.

George served with 76th Field Regiment Royal Artillery from 19.1.1925 until his final discharge on 1 May 1949.  Clearly a very brave man, he was awarded a Military Medal in 1946. 

M.M. London Gazette 24 January 1946. Sergeant George Keiller, 76 Field Regiment, Royal Artillery. The recommendation states:

‘This NCO is i/c Bty Sigs and has fought through the whole of the recent campaign. On D Day, his duties were to control several separate parties on the beach itself who were concerned with mine clearance, route marking, traffic organisation and local protection. These parties were widely separated and to begin with disorganised by the heavy mortaring and shelling of the beach. He rallied these parties and by showing a complete disregard for his own personal safety, made them effective. He continued to move from one party to another and refused to take cover. His fearless conduct, and his example of leadership and cheerfulness, and his initiative, were of the very highest order.

Since this first action of the campaign, Sjt Keiller has shown the same spirit and coolness and bravery which was marked down on D Day by so many in the Bty. His duties have been mainly concerned in the maintenance of communications. If there is a sticky job to be done on the line, it is Sjt Keiller who leads the party to do it.

During the Venraij battle the OP line was continually cut at all hours of the day and night by mortar and shell fire. Again and again Sjt Keiller calling for a volunteer went into the most unhealthy areas and re-established line communications. When things are sticky, Sjt Keiller is there. His courage and cheerfulness and leadership are recognised by all ranks.

During the campaign the communications in the Bty have been of a very high order and behind this lies a great deal of hard sweat, organisation and example on the part of the Bty NCO i/c Sigs. The above two instances are only examples of many tasks carried out by Sjt Keiller which have shown the greatest bravery and devotion to duty.’

I have traced two articles that appear in the local papers one being a report on his platinum wedding anniversary (article in East Fife Mail dated 27/09/2000) and the other a death notice (article in Glenrothes Gazette dated 05/02/2003).  I was wondering if anybody would be able to copy these articles for me.  I have tried to contact the library sadly, with little success.

I would be delighted to hear from anyone with any information on George or indeed on the 76th Field Regiment, Royal Artillery.

Many thanks for looking.
Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: 759596 Sgt George Keiller MM
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 10:18 BST (UK) »
His service record will be with the MOD; a copy costs £30.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=651361.0
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately as I am not related, the records are not available until 2028.
Avatar shows  3002 Clr Sgt Charles Brownie, Seaforth Highlanders and Royal Jersey Light Infantry.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 10:26 BST (UK) »
I have sent for a service record for my mother's first husband, so no relation, but I was sent everything but personal details which I already had (birth, marriage and death certs).
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 10:49 BST (UK) »
Now that is interesting.  I read the form to mean that unless the individual died more than 25 years ago only the briefest of details would be released.  Did you receive details of the individuals service?

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 11:49 BST (UK) »
He had died in 1947 so no restrictions; I was not aware of the 25 year rule.

It might be worth trying to track his next of kin to get their permission.

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 18 14:58 BST (UK) »
There was a George Keiller who ran for the the Hawkwell Harriers who I believe are located in Dundee.  I am not sure if this is my man although I do know that the runner enlisted in the army and was called up just prior to the outbreak of WW2

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 July 18 21:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Note his medals have just been sold at auction www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/past-catalogues/lot.php?auction_id=477&lot_id=314201

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mark Abbott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 August 18 15:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica for your reply.  I have just purchased them from the auction and hence my enquiry so I can add to his story.

I believe he MAY have served with 302 Battery which formed part of 76th Field Regiment R.A. during WW2.  302 Battery was based at Levin before WW2 and I think continued there post 1945.