Author Topic: LANCASHIRE ARCHIVES WILLS & PROBATE DOCUMENTS- THOMAS CROFT  (Read 747 times)

Offline nigelspicer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LANCASHIRE ARCHIVES WILLS & PROBATE DOCUMENTS- THOMAS CROFT
« on: Wednesday 25 July 18 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hello
Please would some kind person be able to have a look at the Administration document of Thomas Croft (mayor of Lancaster in 1723 and Grocer). Record is dated 25 Sep 1728 (Archive REF:W/RW/A/R24D/11). There is no will (unfortunately!) and so there should be just one page to look at.
I'm hoping that the name of whoever was granted administration will be a name I recognise thus confirming this man's place in my tree. Otherwise it's back to brick wall time!
Many thanks

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LANCASHIRE ARCHIVES WILLS & PROBATE DOCUMENTS- THOMAS CROFT
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 18 00:03 BST (UK) »
I don't think it's available to view on Family Search. I can find the batch that is mentioned on the Lancashire Will Search website (FHL British Film 98682 Archdeaconry of Richmond, Consistory Court Amounderness Deanery Wills, admons. & inventories, C 1711-1730) but it's not available to view at home:-

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/344961?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 July 18 00:24 BST (UK) »
There's a short (viewable when signed in and using a compatible browser) entry here from "Amounderness Deanery, probate act books 1669-1672; 1719-1748; 1760-1815.":-

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ7-946P?cat=822113

This batch comes from here:-

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/822113?availability=Family%20History%20Library

Blue

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 July 18 07:18 BST (UK) »
I am not quite sure if this is your chap,
but its a nice snippet of information,Autobiography of William Stout of Lancaster
This item dated 1724
Also this year Thomas Croft,who had been mayor,and had good fortune by his wife
and many hundreds pounds legacy which an Aunt who had died in London left him,most of which was laid out in building and fashionable lIving ,so that he failed in his credit this year and compounded with his creditors at 12 shillings in the pound and died soon after
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 July 18 07:36 BST (UK) »
I can not see there were two Thomas Croft as Mayor of Lancaster, can you

yours appears to have been buried on the 3rd of May 1728,Thomas Croft gentleman

26th April 1705
Thomas Croft and Margaret Bradshaw married
children
William 16th Feb 1705/6
John 8th september 1708
 Richard Croft son of Thoms buried 16th April 1710
Eliz Croft,24th April 1711
Margt Croft 12th July 1713
Sarah Croft 4th October 1720
Margt Croft relict of Thos Croft buried 24th March 1757
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline nigelspicer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 July 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
Firstly thank you very much to both of you for responding to my post.

Blue 70--- I've been doing this genealogical thing for a few years now and wasn't even aware that Familysearch had this resource available to the public, so that was an education in itself! It seems to confirm that his relict is a Margaret and presumably it was to her that probate was granted. I wonder if the Administration record held by Lancashire Archives, which I referred to in my original post, would just confirm this or might contain any further information? But this is progress for me because I now know that the wife of a Thomas Croft who died in 1728 was called Margaret.

Radcliff--- I had previously seen the reference to mayor Thomas Croft in Stout's autobiography but was a little thrown by his comment that he died soon after- I suppose 4 years later could be called soon? Like you I had supposed that Thomas Croft had married this Margaret Bradshaw ( I think she must be a dtr. of John Bradshaw of Skerton she being born in c.1681)  and had the children that you have listed. This is partly supported by what Blue 70 came up with.
What I am still unclear about is:
1/ Was the Thomas Croft who married Margaret Bradshaw the Thomas Croft who later became mayor? ie could there have been another Thomas Croft around, which seems entirely possible in a city.
2/ Was mayor Thomas Croft the 'gent' who died in 1728 and was the 1728 Administration record held by Lancashire Archives referring to the same person? Presumably the answer to this is 'yes' but I'm not certain.

I think that son William became an attorney in London (St. Martins Lane) which might tie in with Stout's reference to a rich aunt in London leaving a legacy to Thomas Croft but thus far have found no PCC will that confirms any actual links.

I've been grappling with this issue for some weeks now so really appreciate your input and any new thinking!

Thanks again

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 July 18 11:55 BST (UK) »
Looking at the church records for Lancaster St Mary, there only appears to be one Thomas Croft,marriage,children baptised and his death in this time scale,so it's more of an elimination game untill you find some thing more concrete to build your research  upon

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 July 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
it would be interesting to discover who the Aunt in London was

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 July 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
is there a will for John Bradshaw this may mention Margaret his daughter