Author Topic: Christopher Honey & Mary Stevens  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher Honey & Mary Stevens
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 July 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
One mystery solved but another created.

I've looked at the Besselsleigh baptisms for this period and there are no Honey/Hunny ones.

The mystery is why some person or persons on FamilySearch Pedigree Resource have the baptisms recorded as at Besselsleigh when parish records indicate otherwise. 

I see from a map that the two parishes are fairly close to one another - probably about 2.5 miles - I wonder therefore if the same person was the incumbent of both parishes and the records got jumbled up when the Bishop's transcripts were prepared.

Quite intriguing isn't it.
Perhaps you are right with your thoughts about the records getting muddled in error.
I have one case in my tree when a similar thing occurred & I was able to discover that the parish church became unsafe to use & so the neighbouring church was used until repairs were complete. During this period of time it seems that the events did take place at the neighbouring church but were registered within the records of the usual parish church instead.
There is always something to get our old grey cells working isn't there!

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 July 18 12:44 BST (UK) »
I do wonder if the people putting the information on FamilySearch looked at the Bishop's transcripts as I find it strange that the entries for Sunningwell were the birth dates and the entries for Besselsleigh were baptism dates.

Might be worth an email to the Oxfordshire Record Office to see if they hold Bishop's Transcripts for the two parishes?

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 July 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
Good idea.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 July 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Treefan.

The Oxfordshire History Centre, as it's now called, is not likely to have any records for Sunningwell or Besselsleigh.

Those parishes (and the rest of what is called the Vale of White Horse District), were in the part of Berkshire that transferred to Oxfordshire in 1974.  However, their parish records are deposited in Reading at the Berkshire Record Office and there are no plans to digitise them.  Oxfordshire FHS have released some older transcripts on CD, as you know, but they've told me that they don't have the resources to travel to Reading and transcribe at BRO.  Meanwhile Berkshire FHS aren't transcribing that area either - because it's now in Oxfordshire .........................

So whether you call it a brick wall, black hole, or no-man's-land, the end result is that you need to get to Reading in order to research once you've exhausted the available transcripts.

I live in Australia now but was born and grew up in Oxford.  However, roughly 40% of my forebears came from the 'wrong' side of the Thames and there's not much I can do about it!

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 July 18 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol, I had no idea of these circumstances so thank you for informing me.
What a shame, it makes things very awkward for folk like me who due to mobility problems cannot travel to visit record offices around the country.
We shall just have to keep our fingers crossed that the situation might be resolved at some point in the future.
Thank you for letting me know.

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 28 July 18 00:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Treefan,

I have to agree with CarolA3's comments wholeheartedly. Its a catch 22 situation regarding those parishes in north Berks now in Oxfordshire and I don't think the Berks RO Archivist is/was very entusiastic in allowing the original registers for all Berks  to go on-line with a commercial coy.

A lot of my mother's ancestors came from these very vilages in "Nth Berks" and its only with the valuable assistance of the OFHS with their issue of CDs that I have been able to go back with my searches.

Like Carol,( I was born and brought up just outside Reading and frequently visited the old Archives when they were in the Reading Forbury Sq. buildings but) , I have lived in South Australia for the best part of 40 years and feel the frustration. (However, roughly 40% of my forebears came from the 'wrong' side of the Thames and there's not much I can do about it!)
Agree.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 July 18 08:00 BST (UK) »
I had no idea that this is how the land lies so to speak & realise that it must cause great frustration so many family tree enthusiasts.