Author Topic: Downloading a Family Tree to CD  (Read 888 times)

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Downloading a Family Tree to CD
« on: Thursday 26 July 18 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys, and Gals.

Advice needed please.

What is the best way to download a tree,so that it can be shown to others easily ?

I have done a family tree for a friend. Normally I would make it into a PDF and send it by email, but this would make it difficult to share with other members of her family ( Older, in their 70's and 80's ) at a Family get together

I have built the tree on Family Historian.It is a all relatives chart
My computer is a Lenovo G50

I have thought about down loading it to a CD .
A) How do I do it ? What kind of CD do I use
B) Can it then be shown on any computer ?
C) Can it be shown on a TV screen through a DVD player ?

Same three questions, re a memory stick

Any other suggestions ? If this is not feasible, I will get it printed by My History,but time is getting short .

Thankyou

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading a Family Tree to CD
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 July 18 19:10 BST (UK) »
Hi.
You could . . . . . .     

Export as a gedcom .     
Import into ZoomPast.com     ( free, just register )   
MINUTES! 
Display on any web-enabled fone, ipud, laptop, pc, w.h.y. . . . . . .     

Leaves your tree as is.     
Can be deleted if you wish, without troubling what you want to keep.     
You can leave tree there.     

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
I've never used FH and I don't know anything about it except for a quick browse on the FH website. Its website does say that you can create websites, CDs and DVDs from the data though (without reading the user guides) I'm not exactly sure what FH creates, what the options are and how to use the use the different media when created. You could maybe just try the options out. The website and CD/DVD creation processes look very similar so my guess is that there will be 'table of contents' somewhere that you can click on.

One of the things to be aware of is 'media': if your tree has photos, they might not be carried through the "Gedcom export/import" process to a different program.

One option might be that your friend gets a 30-day trial version of FH and that you show her how she could present the tree. That might be the most interactive way at the family gathering: giving an overview and just zooming in on individuals when there's interest in them.

If I've understood FH correctly, it's a desktop program so your tree data should be on your laptop. It might me synched online too. If he/she decides to get a trial version of FH there's probably an 'import/open FH tree' option so that you can share your data with him/her via a memory stick (or online)

FWIW, however you decide to do things with your friend, I suggest you set it up and test things out well in advance of the 'family get-together'! Last minute glitches are all too common.

If all else fails, there's nothing wrong with presenting a PDF version (which will also have a table of contents)!

Mike
Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
FH will export a usable website in a few clicks, so that's one way of displaying things.
FH will also build family tree diagrams and is very customisable; they'll "print" as pdfs or print on paper as well.
FH stores its data as a GEDCOM so the data is readily transferred to different genealogy software.
It all depends on exactly what you want as your product...
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan