Author Topic: Harehills Cemetery  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Harehills Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:57 BST (UK) »
Was looking at this death entry

Mar 1917 Guisbro vol   9d page   715
Rowland Russell age   31 (1886)   

Guisbro is an alternative name for Guisborough and it is in the county of North Riding of Yorkshire

but then found a marriage in Guisborough in 1914 for a Rowland Russell, so that's probably him  ???
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 July 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone, sorry for the delay in answering, had to break off to eat and then sort out the info I have on Roland.
When he got married he lived at 16 Westlock Terrace, his father was John William Russell, occupation, labourer. This info is from his marriage certificate to Emma, they married October 7th 1911. Emma lived in Clifton Terrace, both addresses are close to Harehills Cemetery.
I have a copy of every census and also the info about the Military medal, all service enquiries have been a dead end, so I am wondering if he was ever in the army, surely he would have had a war grave if he died as a result of the war.

On the census returns John William is either. Labourer, coal miner or out of work.

I have seen the info on Yorkshire Indexers, I lived all my life near Harehills Cemetery and Becket Street, what I find hard to understand is, if this is my Grandfather why did no one in the family know where he was buried, except of course my Grandmother, if it is him she would have known, I am sure my mother would have told me if she had known, at one point we lived opposite this cemetery! This is why I must find some way of finding out for sure. Someone must have arranged the burial!

Thanks again everyone.

Brenda

Tebbs... Leicester, Gainsborough, Lincoln, Hunslet,Harehills, Leeds
Daniel....Hyde Park Leeds, Paddington London
Russell...Harehills, Leeds
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)
Coop..Leicester, Birmingham
Payne..Leicester, Blackpool

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 July 18 20:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ladyhawk, but they definately married at St Agnes Church Leeds, I was way out with my Grandmother second marriage dates, but I do have that marriage certificate as well, she married Edwin Tessyman on 1st April 1935 at St Aidens church Leeds.

Brenda
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 July 18 07:51 BST (UK) »
Did you purchase the Kingston death certificate, if so what information did it give.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 July 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, No I did not purchase the certificate and I cannot remember why, I have been looking through my files and found some information I received from Ancestry showing the Death Index from Kingston of a Roland Russell, but this was in 2014 and the list is illegible now, it does show the date of registration as December 1918 and date of buriel on Roland’s headstone is 2nd November 1918. Something at the time must have made me think that the death in Kingston was not Roland, but maybe it was. I have written to the Red Cross to see if they have any information , but maybe I should just send for the death certificate.
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 July 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
I think I would be buying that certificate, you can get a PDF version from the GRO for £6.  Hopefully it would give an occupation which would confirm it one way or the other.

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 July 18 11:41 BST (UK) »
I think the only way I could prove that was Roland was if it gave next of kin as my Grandmother, I will explore a bit more on line as since 2014 maybe there is more information out there, then if not I will send for the Kingston death certificate.
Thank you for taking the time to help.  Brenda
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 July 18 12:13 BST (UK) »
As the death occurred away from home it is doubtful that there would be any mention of his wife.  If he died in hospital it would probably be registered by a member of staff.

Let us know if you get that death certificate

Offline pyghtle

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 July 18 14:54 BST (UK) »
I have had a breakthrough, I now know that the Roland Russell in Harehills Cemetery is my Grandfather, I contacted the Parks and Cemeteries department in Leeds and a very helpful lady there looked up the buriel details for 1918 in Harehills and found a buriel notification, although the writing is feint she could make out what she thought looked like Windsor Road Teddington as place of death, but the home address on the form is definately where my Grandfather lived, no cause of death though and no spouse named. I now have to find if there is a connection between what looks like Teddington on the form and Kingston in Surrey.
There is just the discrepancy in dates, my Grandfather died on October 29th 1918 and the death of Roland in Kingston was registered December 1918.
Hope ..Harehills (Leeds)