Author Topic: Peter Venn, Millwright, on the Isle of Wight  (Read 1803 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Venn, Millwright, on the Isle of Wight
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 July 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
For what it is worth I suggest the photo supports a birthdate closer to 1831-32 (as per marriage and later censuses) than 1824 (as per the 1861).  To my eye he does not look 40+ years older than his sons.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline eaasland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 July 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
That's great. The question I suppose now is how does one try to find a baptism record for someone born in Drury Lane? That might be my next post.

Thanks so much for the great comments!

Erik

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 July 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
London is pretty good for online baptism records - as long as the person was baptised in the Church of England (see especially the excellent London Metropolitan Archives collection on Ancestry, as well as e.g. Westminster Baptisms on Findmypast).

However not everyone was baptised, and if Peter had an Italian or otherwise southern European parent any baptism may well have been Catholic.  I note that he didn’t marry in the Church of England (the marriage was in an Independent Chapel).  His names Peter Paul Louis would have been an unusual combination in England at that time, but Pier Paolo is a well-used combination in Italy - Luigi is the Italian version of Louis.

There are some Catholic baptisms coming online (both Ancestry and Findmypast have some) but they are far less likely to have been digitised than Church of England ones, due in part to the historic reluctance of the Catholic church to make its registers available for digitisation.  I would think it unlikely that many Catholic records survive from as early as the 1830s, when Catholics in England were only just getting used to the abolition of systemic discrimination against them by the Catholic Emancipation Act 1829.  Worship is likely to have been mostly in ad hoc settings, rather than formal churches and chapels at that stage (though others will no doubt know more than I do about all of this - I am no expert on Catholic family history).
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 July 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
Although we are of course deep in speculation territory about an Italian/Catholic connection, here is a bit more on surviving early Catholic records.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/England_Catholic_Church_Records,_Registers,_Births,_Baptisms,_Confirmations_(National_Institute)

The Sardinian (Embassy) Chapel in Lincoln’s Inn Fields would have been a short walk from Drury Lane.

Offline eaasland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 July 18 17:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much, that looks like a great place to start! There is a mystery here that I'd love to solve!

Erik