Author Topic: Spring Gardens, Berwickshire in 1812  (Read 1423 times)

Offline MY60

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Spring Gardens, Berwickshire in 1812
« on: Thursday 26 July 18 17:22 BST (UK) »
I should be grateful if anyone knows the location of the above place ...Spring Gardens Berwickshire.
 I have the birthplace of an ancestor given as being ‘Spring Gardens,  Berwickshire’  in 1812.
His father’s occupation was a gardener.
Is ‘ Spring Gardens’ a place/ house in Berwickshire and could an ancestor have lived/ worked there as a gardener between 1805 and 1815 ? Prior to that other children were born at Callaly and Ingram in Northumberland

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Gardens, Berwickshire in 1812
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
https://maps.nls.uk/view/101027754
Spring Gardens shown on this map, west of the Royal Border Bridge and east of Castlehills Farm, north side of the Tweed
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline MY60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the prompt response.
They do exist (!) but it sounds unlikely ancestors would be working there as a gardener but perhaps I am incorrect. They don’t appear to be formal gardens where a gardener would work from information in the link. Rather strange it was given as birthplace.

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 July 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
I got the impression from Fuller that they were formal gardens. I didn't expect to find a building there, I guess a nearby house would likely be called after the gardens.

Offline MY60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 July 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
I have just found a short reference to the Spring-Gardens on p72 of Historic England guide to Berwick.
https://content.historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/berwick-upon-tweed/berwick-upon-tweed.pdf/

It states that Castle Hill House was built on most of the site by the Askews of Pallensburn in 1830 but sadly gives no indication of any prior landowner who could have employed gardeners between 1805 to 1810 on the site.