Author Topic: Irish immigration to North Wales in the 1700s ?  (Read 9899 times)

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Irish immigration to North Wales in the 1700s ?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 July 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

Thanks for all the replies.

Maggsie - yes I've been looking at the genealogical sites to do searches. I've been checking Ancestry but yet to have a look at Familysearch. The interface on FindmyPast isn't really helpful to do that sort of query though.

Gadget - yes, I've noticed the concentration of Williams in Caernarvonshire. Llanenddwyn isn't that far from Pwllheli and Llanfihangel Bachellaeth and I think our Williams did wander around that area. If you're not aware of it, then this site is quite interesting - http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/ - if you want to look at surname distribution in the UK.

Also - and correct me if I'm wrong - I seem to notice more of a tendency to use Welsh patronymics in that part of the country in the early 1800s, which can be a bit confusing with the surnames.

Gordon

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 July 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
Yep - patronymics were usual down to the end of 18th century and beyond many in Welsh counties, although the eastern counties were mainly using surnames by then.  Some parishes varied between patronymics and surnames depending upon who the vicar/parish clerk was.  My 2xgrt grandfather and his brother, b Llangower in the late 1700s, were baptised using the patronymic form. The brother took the father's first name as his surname and 2xgg took the last name. It took me ages to work out their relationship  but it all became clear when his brother married late and the cert gave the game away  ;D

As an aside - isn't/wasn't there a gold mine in Llanaber?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gordon Hughes

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 July 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
Ah now, I've not heard about the goldmine. I'll check that one out !

Gordon.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 July 18 20:49 BST (UK) »
A couple of bits about Irish linen industry which may have influenced movement between the 2 islands:
Much of Irish linen exports went through port of Chester in first half of 18th century. A lot of this trade moved to Liverpool in latter half of century.
The linen trade took a downturn in early 1770s. (Caused by developments in cotton production.)
Linen accounted for about half Ireland's total exports by end of 18thC so any changes to the industry had an effect on the country.
There was linen production in County Cork.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 July 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
There was a goldrush in Co. Wicklow 1790s-1800s. There's gold in Co. Cork and other Irish counties.
Cowban