Author Topic: Susannah James  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Susannah James
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 July 18 02:18 BST (UK) »
In the marriage to Paul Oldacre, It shows Susannah's Father as William James ??????????  So if the children were born illegitimately prior to William Wood and Paul Oldacre, is it possible or even likely that Susannah adopted her own family surname?
James, Jinks - Stoke On Trent,  Richards, Rees, Morgans - Llandilofawr, Llangadock, Wilding- Hereford, Underwood, Sitch, Thorne, Day all West Ham, and Leytonstone. .

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 July 18 09:13 BST (UK) »
Think this will help

Marriage
20th April 1857
Bucknall
George James 22 Bachelor Potter Brookhouse Lane
Hannah Healy Spinster  Brookhouse Lane
No father's details for either
Both signed, Hannah as Healey
Witnesses George Bowman
Susannah Wood made x

This is a few months before Susannah Wood remarried and gives the same address as she did

If Susannah was unmarried when the children were born, as suggested by their baptisms and her marriage to William Wood, then her father's surname would be James

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 July 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
Marriage
18th July 1896
Bucknall
Thomas James 28 Coal miner Bucknall George James Coal miner
Sarah Underwood 22    Bucknall Edwin Underwood Deceased
both signed
Witnesses Thomas Carter
Eliza Underwood

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 July 18 15:25 BST (UK) »
I've just seen your reply, many thanks , so in a nutshell , it is likely that Susannah's father was a William James,  I will get George's birth cert to clarify any father's details also Susannah's wedding to William Wood.  Thank you for your efforts - Richard
James, Jinks - Stoke On Trent,  Richards, Rees, Morgans - Llandilofawr, Llangadock, Wilding- Hereford, Underwood, Sitch, Thorne, Day all West Ham, and Leytonstone. .

Online Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 July 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry to tell  but as George was born before 1837 there is no birth certificate to be had and as there is no fathers informaton on the Wood/James marriage entry, that won't help either. The images I found were on FindMyPast, a lot of libraries have free access and I believe you can download images to a memory stick.
Have you tracked the family on the census?
1871 Brookhouse Lane, Bucknall
Susannah Oldacre, widow,59 with William James, 9, grandson who could be George & Hannah's son, also on the same page, George 35 & Hannah 36 with Thomas 7, Henry 3 & Susannah 4 months Is this the correct family?

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 July 18 16:09 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's them. I didn't realise about 1837. Yes tracked them from 1911 back to 1841.

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 July 18 16:34 BST (UK) »
I hadn't come across Susannah living with her Grandson William in Brookhouse lane in 1871 because I wasn't aware if the Oldacre marriage until it as pointed out last night. That's kind if nice , she was living in the same street as her eldest son George. Alice was born in 1839 so there should be some father details on her birth cert , if I can find it. The only other conundrum I have is who was William Baines , whom she was living with in 1841 with her children at uttoxeter , he was 60, she was 28, landlord maybe or a relative , - thanks for all your efforts

Offline Jackarmy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Come back to this thread after 6mths or so, I've worked out that Susannah's father was probably William James b1776, who in 1841 was living in Brook House Lane, in Bucknall, Stoke on Trent. This is the same address that his son or grandson George was living at when he married Hannah in 1857 and also they were still living there in 1871. My question is how can I prove it ?  and how can I find out if William had any more children. I think William was married to a Shuzannah  (Susannah?) b.1771 and possible her maiden name was Tar. Any tips or help greatly appreciated or have I come to the end of the road for the James's ?

Many thanks in advance - Richard

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 30 January 19 04:32 GMT (UK) »
This is very difficult to follow. It might be useful to go back to the beginning.

".. to Percy born in 1908, to my Father born in 1944. All from Stoke"

What is the name of Percy, b. 1908.......and he is your father's father?

Do you have a birth certificate for Percy b. 1908?

If you do not have a birth certificate for Percy b. 1908, how have you identified his parents?