Author Topic: Webb Family  (Read 5744 times)

Offline yeahyeah121212

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Webb Family
« on: Friday 27 July 18 00:23 BST (UK) »
Hello, my family surname is Webb, which is on the gypsy surname list, and my family are very gypsy-like and have most of the gypsy aspects. I do not however know if we are gypsies or travellers or anything like that, but I would like to know. My grandfather was Barry Norman Webb who was born in 1948 and died in Salisbury hospital in 2014. His father was Arthur Norman Webb, not sure on birth and death date. There is also a record of Barry Webb living in carters clay farmhouse in 2006, and that is the area that we are from. Sloper and Another surname beginning with W which I forgot is also linked with us. We are also relatives to the Green, Harris, Hillier, Legg and Wolf families, all of which are on the gypsy surname list. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Re: Webb Family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 18 00:32 BST (UK) »
Other question so people don't repeat what has already been found
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=797420.msg6544549#msg6544549
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 18 00:53 BST (UK) »
Cribbing ye quote from the other thread:

I wouldn’t mind knowing more, but I am mostly here to know whether it is possible if I could be gypsy or traveler or something of the type :D

From the familial names ye giving. And my personal experience of people of many of those names, plus a glimpse at 'The Book Of Bob' (Click the little house, under my avatar) for the purposes of pinning locations?

I'd say " Absolutely. "  ;)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Online JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 July 18 02:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Crazyshotgug69,
 with the names Webb and Harris associated with Gloucestershire  please have a look at our notes on CECIL Family DNA and see if we can progress.

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline yeahyeah121212

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 July 18 10:17 BST (UK) »

I wouldn’t mind knowing more, but I am mostly here to know whether it is possible if I could be gypsy or traveler or something of the type :D

From the familial names ye giving. And my personal experience of people of many of those names, plus a glimpse at 'The Book Of Bob' (Click the little house, under my avatar) for the purposes of pinning locations?

Thank you
Other question so people don't repeat what has already been found
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=797420.msg6544549#msg6544549
Hello Crazyshotgug69,
 with the names Webb and Harris associated with Gloucestershire  please have a look at our notes on CECIL Family DNA and see if we can progress.

Cheers
Jack Gee
I will have a look.

Offline yeahyeah121212

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 July 18 10:23 BST (UK) »

Also could you please link the book as I am interested to what it says.

Online JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 July 18 23:35 BST (UK) »
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline flynnl1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 August 20 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My great grandmother was born Webb, when I was a small child she always referred to herself as a gypsy, and other old family members said that once her father had married a settled woman neither his nor her family wanted to know them. 
Now that I've found her parents marriage certificate, I see her grandfathers address listed as a heath in Wheathampsted, which I think confirms the family story.  I was hoping somebody might be able to tell me if the Webbs were Roma origin or Irish traveller?  That great grandmother was my English grandmothers mother, and the rest of my family are Irish. 
I show up as no English blood in my DNA results, so I would be very interested to know the history of the Webbs of that part of the country.
Thanks

Online JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 August 20 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Flynnl1,
what group have you had your DNA tests done?
What type of test did you have done?
I am associated with the William Cecil, Lord Burghley DNA Project thru FTDNA.
Would you be interested in submitting your results for assessment?
The name Webb is one of the surnames associated with the Cecil project.
PM me if you wish to go further.

cheers
Jack Gee