Author Topic: Scott & Doake Families 1850s/1960s  (Read 748 times)

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scott & Doake Families 1850s/1960s
« on: Friday 27 July 18 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi not sure if someone can give me an answer - my family, Beresfords had been living in Dromore , Co Down and later in Kinallen - Some came over to Scotland 1860s to Springburn, Glasgow and settling in Airdrie, Lanarkshire. I know about the traditional naming conventions for children, and this family belonging to John Beresford had quite a few. They had 3 eldest boys then 2 daughters and then a son . The eldest daughter was born in 1861 called Eliza Ann Scott Doake Beresford . I don't know anything at all about the parents - John Beresford and Dorothy Beck , and that John was a soldier according to his children's Scorttish death certificates. Does anyone know anything about those families Scott or Doake and would they have been related to the Beck family ? Incidentally I've been searching for birth or death details for both parents but find nothing yet .
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scott & Doake Families 1850s/1960s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 July 18 08:34 BST (UK) »
Probably named after this woman-
The Will of Eliza Anne Scott Doake late of Bangor County Down Spinster who died 23 November 1886 at same place was proved at Belfast by Isabella Mills Gillmer and Mary Eliza Gillmer both of Bangor Spinsters the Executrixes. Effects £492 14s. 6d.
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearch.aspx
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 July 18 08:38 BST (UK) »
Would it be normal to call a child and a first daughter after someone totally unconnected ?I thought an eldest daughter is usually after the maternal grandmother - still trying to find family connections but it's not easy - thanks for that info !
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 July 18 08:42 BST (UK) »
Not every family followed any sort of naming convention in Ireland (many of mine didn't) and it wasn't uncommon to name a child after a better-off (and often childless relative) minister, schoolteacher, landlord/landlady, doctor or member of the gentry. Sometimes this was done in hope of a christening gift or legacy later in life but other times just because the parents held that person in high regard.

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 July 18 08:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that aghadowey- I wondered if families would do that because I saw from the Griffiths lists that Eliza Doake seemed to own a lot of property and indeed I think they lived in one - was looking though for a connection to find out more info on the family- I found the Becks but nothing really about Dorothy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 July 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
You can check PRONI's Valuation Revision Books (free, online) to see occupants of a property and landlord (cover from printed version of Griffith's until c1930).