Author Topic: John Tierney  (Read 2425 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Tierney
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 29 July 18 13:23 BST (UK) »
From what we have gathered together here, nothing is really definite.
You could try Workhouse, birth and baptism records for confirmation of names and addresses. Godparents are often relatives.

This is a link to an explanation re Griffiths Valuation http://www.rootschat.com/links/0eqn/
If your ancestors were not working the land you would not find them but it is a useful guide to surnames.
This site http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ shows more information re the land and maps.
This site https://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths/armagh/killevy.htm is an index but is good for a quick search for names.
The McGuill family I found give Drumintee/Dromintee as Place of birth. They may not be related or just distantly related to Bridget who gives Armagh as her p.o.b.
The civil parish of Killevy covers Drumintee and Carrickbroad which are adjacent Townlands in County Armagh.
The Tiernan baptism in Drumintee church I posted earlier showed that family living in Carrickbroad.
There are Tierney names in Carrickbroad in the Griffiths info and also McGuill in Drumintee and McGill in Carrickbroad.
You can see them in the indexes.

I hope this helps but please don’t accept it as definitely your ancestors. There are not enough links.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Darren2510

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:14 BST (UK) »

Thanks for all the information and help, will have a look through the links you sent.
I dont think were far rome putting it together but like you say one mistake can lead you
along a different family and still sound has if it all fits.
Thanks again for taking the time.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
A Thomas Tarney was registered in Stalmine sub-district 1861. Stalmine is some distance north of Preston.
Edit. Mother's maiden name was MGill.

If this Thomas was theirs, Bridget had arrived by 1861.
Mother's maiden name was McGill.

The registration was December quarter 1861 so might not be in census.

A 9 year old Thomas Tierney died in Preston 1870 so if it was same child he didn't make it to 1871 census.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 29 July 18 14:44 BST (UK) »
There is a Elizabeth Tierney born 1869 to a Mcguill in preston.
in the 1871 census there is a Bridget, Catherine and Elizabeth Tearn in Blackburn. Think it was member Heywood that picked up on it but no husband.

Any sign of Elizabeth in 1881? She might have been Betty or Eliza. I can't see a death for her. By 1881 she would have been old enough to go out to work.
Cowban

Offline Darren2510

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:10 BST (UK) »

I can't seem to find her after 1871, i thought maybe she may have died but i could not find a death for that name.
I would have thought if Bridget and John jnr were in Fulwood then Elizabeth would have been there to has she would have only been 12.
Its confusing.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:10 BST (UK) »
No I can’t see her. I have looked for Eliz* and Lizzie with variations of surname too.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
Oh it’s all so complicated and confusing  ::)
Baptism records might help with Godparents names etc - not sure where these would be - Lancashire Archives. Maiden Stone would likely know that.

There are some in Lancashire Archives. Baptisms may have been at different churches if family moved around Preston. I've an idea where John may have been baptised and at least Darren has a date of birth for him to search around. I'll have a think about the others.
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks website has no registers of Preston Catholic churches. It has some Blackburn R.C. and there are Tierney entries in them. A Catholic member of Lancashire FH&HS once described the dearth of Preston R.C. records online as "a black hole".

NB when searching for a baptism in that era it's advisable to check baptism register a few weeks prior to official d.o.b. Some parents were tardy in registering a baby's birth and forgot the date or lied about it. Catholic babies were normally baptised during their 1st month of life. Some priests included date of birth in baptismal entry. This date may differ from birth certificate.
Keep a note of godparents' (sponsor's) names. They may or may not have been relatives. I always investigate godparents, just in case there was a connection. If there were no local relatives or friends, sometimes a proxy "stood" for the absent godparent. If there was no one to call on as a godparent a member of the congregation stepped in.

The Catholic Family History Society has a website where you can learn more about Catholic FH research.
Cowban

Offline Darren2510

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
Just been looking again and no sign of her.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 29 July 18 15:53 BST (UK) »

I can't seem to find her after 1871, i thought maybe she may have died but i could not find a death for that name.
I would have thought if Bridget and John jnr were in Fulwood then Elizabeth would have been there to has she would have only been 12.
Its confusing.

Various possibilities as to Elizabeth's whereabouts. If she was with her mother on admittance to the workhouse she may have been sent to a training school for girls or employment might have been arranged for her. She may have been in Ireland if relatives remained there, or sent to relatives elsewhere in Britain. Census Night sometimes coincided with Easter holidays. A girl from one of my Irish families was at her grandfather's farm in Ireland for 1901 census, not at home in England. Elizabeth could even have been sent abroad.
If Elizabeth was dead, she might have died elsewhere.

Edit. There was a Catholic orphanage in Preston.
Cowban