Author Topic: WOOD, William & BONE, Cathrine - Greenlaw  (Read 1703 times)

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
WOOD, William & BONE, Cathrine - Greenlaw
« on: Saturday 28 July 18 23:38 BST (UK) »
Hi all.

William Wood & Cathrine Bone were married in Greenlaw in 1821.  I am looking to confirm deaths for both William & Cathrine.

I have found the following children for William & Cathrine born in Greenlaw: Janet (1821), Agnes (1823), Jean (1825) & Robert (1827).

There is a William Wood with father Wm who dies in Greenlaw in 1834 age 5.  I haven't found a corresponding birth to confirm if this is the same family.

There is a Wm Wood who dies in Coldstream in 1829 with no age stated.

The 1841 census shows Cathrine Wood living in Greenlaw with her son Robert.

Janet (age rounded down) appears to be living in the home of Alexander & Jean Crukshank.

Agnes (age rounded down) appears to be living in the home of George & Elizabeth Sutherland.

Jean appears to be living in Mertoun.  Ancestry has her indexed on her own, but looking at the Ref numbers on Scotlandspeople it appears she is living in the home of Jenet Bone who possibly is her maternal grandmother.

In 1845 in Mertoun Jane Wood marries John Lauder.  I haven't found any other records for Jane and John to confirm if this is Jean.

In 1849 in Greenlaw Janet Wood marries William Hepburn Kidd.

The 1851 census shows Cathrine living with William and Janet Kidd in Greenlaw along with Agnes.

It appears Robert may be living as a lodger with the Awburn family at the Black Bull Inn, Kelso, occupation Draper.  I have not found any further records for Robert in Scotland, and I suspect he migrated to Victoria, Australia in 1854.  However, if this is the same man he significantly understates his age.

In 1852 in Greenlaw Agnes Wood marries Robert Proudfoot.  I haven't explored this couple fully, but it appears they settle in Peeblesshire and have 3 children: Catherine (1853), James (1855) and William (1858).  It appears that Catherine later marries Thomas Grieve in 1875 and has children John (1876) and Agnes Wood (1878) who marries John Wilson in 1900.

William and Janet Kidd migrate to Tasmania, Australia between 1854 and 1857 and the family are well documented there.

I have not found Cathrine on the 1861 census. Numerous online trees give a death date of 31 December 1867 in Greenlaw but I have not been able to confirm that.

Any assistance with the deaths of William and Cathrine or the fate of Jean greatly appreciated.  Any evidence that Robert is still in Scotland after 1854 would save me pursuing this line of inquiry further.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: WOOD, William & BONE, Cathrine - Greenlaw
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 July 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
From the family trees you have seen, Catherine's death shows in some of these as being on 31 Dec 1867 at Church Street, Greenlaw.

This death would have been registered in 1868. There is this death on SP:

Catherine WOOD, 67. Mother's maiden name Turnbull. Died 1868 in Greenlaw

I can't see the name Bane/Bone linked with it but might be worth checking to see what it shows. There should be enough details on it to let you confirm whether it is the correct enty.

Monica

PS: Catherine not included, but this is the family refered to in the family trees with her death/parents' names https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:9HJD-J77 (you now need to be signed on to view).
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 18 20:36 BST (UK) »

Jean appears to be living in Mertoun.  Ancestry has her indexed on her own, but looking at the Ref numbers on Scotlandspeople it appears she is living in the home of Jenet Bone who possibly is her maternal grandmother.

In 1845 in Mertoun Jane Wood marries John Lauder.  I haven't found any other records for Jane and John to confirm if this is Jean.

Other attribute another marriage/banns for Jane to Archibald Anderson on 7 December 1849 in Melrose, Roxburghshire.

This looks to be them in 1851:

Archibald Anderson 32 constable and sherrif officer b. Dunse, Berwickshire
Jane Anderson 24 b. Greenlaw
Catherine Anderson 8 Months https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT1J-L8Y

Address: Yetholm Rox

In 1861, the family show in Prestonkirk, East Lothian with a growing family. Archibald shows still as a police constable. The family is transcribed as Andrews for 1871 it seems. Living in the Edinburgh area. Archibald Anderson is showing as having died there in 1874.

Possible death for Jane in 1873 in Edinburgh. A Jane Wood/Anderson died there that year, aged 43.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 18 22:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Monica

Catherine WOOD, 67. Mother's maiden name Turnbull. Died 1868 in Greenlaw

I'm not sure why I haven't found that death for Cathrine before, but there it is, so thank you!

Other attribute another marriage/banns for Jane to Archibald Anderson on 7 December 1849 in Melrose, Roxburghshire.

That seems right - a John Lauder dies in Melrose in 1847.

Offline squirejay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:02 BST (UK) »
I also have BONE or BAIN on my tree in the Greenlaw area but as I am not line for my family tree at this moment I cannot check if your Cathrine is on that tree. I had a lot of trouble getting to Bone and Bain.
will check and get back to you
Squirejay
GIBSON- Berwickshire(Coldingham, Edrom) & Northumberland(Berwick-upon-Tweed & Morpeth)
NAPIER in Edinburgh from 1700
ROBSON- Roxburgh(Kelso, Hawick & Jedburgh):~
DODS or DODDS Hawick, Kelso)
ELDERS (Hawick/Borders)
HOPPER- (Greenlaw and area)
KENNEDY- (Roxburghshire, Lillesleaf)
BLACK (Lanarkshire before 1861, Edinburgh after 1861 census )

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 August 18 13:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Yes, the surname Bone seems to become Bain in later generations of Catherine's family.

Not 100% certain she is my Catherine yet, but I am hoping to confirm she is.