Author Topic: John McLeod - where did you go?  (Read 593 times)

Offline Jang

• RootsChat NoEdit
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John McLeod - where did you go?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 August 18 02:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Skoosh. So if I'm understanding this correctly, Isobel was born at Teaninver, a place at the mouth of a river or burn.

Hold on, I've just realised her record is for her birth, not baptism, recorded in the Parish Kincardine (Ross) and Croick. Does that help me narrow down a location?

The birth record (Parish Kincardine (Ross) and Croick) of Isobel's next sibling, brother Donald McLeod, has the same information:
McLeod Donald, to John McLeod and Margaret McGregor at Teaninver born 9th Sept 1811.
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 August 18 10:11 BST (UK) »
Jang, there's a place called Inverhouse on the Ross-shire side of the river opposite Invershin.  A hybrid name meaning roughly the same as Teaninver. The folk to contact will be the local Heritage Society. Kyle of Sutherland Heritage Society, on Facebook.

Skoosh.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat NoEdit
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 August 18 13:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Skoosh, I'll do that :-)
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk