Author Topic: Royd Pitts, nr Netherton or Thornhill, Yorkshire  (Read 5954 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Royd Pitts, nr Netherton or Thornhill, Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 October 18 08:54 BST (UK) »
As another alternative to locations named Royd near Thornhill.

Pitts Royd starts 'Pitts' - so is 'Pitts beck' the location area of Pitts Royd based on logic.  ???
~~~~~~~~--------------------------
In Netherton is Pitts beck, the beck source starts at South lane, Star Inn. Netherton

Just along South lane from the Star Inn to top of Green lane are some farm buildings (on link map        B.M.354 . 47 ) not named at the top of Pitts Beck

https://maps.nls.uk/view/100948325

--------------------------------------

sugarfizzle - Margaret

Maybe if you write a letter to the landlord or pub manager of the 'Star Inn' in Netherton for him/her to ask the local pup drinkers if they have ever heard of Pitts Royd (Just a thought for the price of 2 stamps with a stamped address envelope for a reply to your letter you send   ???  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline shelleyite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 October 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Both
Thanks for your kind input again, Dobfarm. I have located the place name on the link you sent.  Strangely enough I joined a golf club today which is located within 1/2 mile from Priest Royd, but the only way to recce the area is by foot. I didn't have my outdoor gear on so may investigate at a later date.
I have just looked up the meaning of Royd and is a cleared area within a forest, close to a village, with Norse/Old English origins. Looking at the Pitts Beck siting, its much closer to Netherton village than Priest Royd. I will get my boots on and recce this as well, plus may visit the pub in the village!!

Margaret,
My brother, who instigated the research, is sceptical as to the connection with William and Elizabeth. He says he needs to find evidence of the abode of their sons wife, Margaret, otherwise he will keep placing a '?' in the family tree!

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 October 18 17:51 BST (UK) »

Pitts Royd starts 'Pitts' - so is 'Pitts beck' the location area of Pitts Royd based on logic.  ???
In Netherton is Pitts beck, the beck source starts at South lane, Star Inn. Netherton

Just along South lane from the Star Inn to top of Green lane are some farm buildings (on link map        B.M.354 . 47 ) not named at the top of Pitts Beck

sugarfizzle - Margaret

Maybe if you write a letter to the landlord or pub manager of the 'Star Inn' in Netherton for him/her to ask the local pup drinkers if they have ever heard of Pitts Royd (Just a thought for the price of 2 stamps with a stamped address envelope for a reply to your letter you send   ???  :)

Happy to write a letter, but it looks like Michael lives nearby and could perhaps ask at the pub.

But I'm not sure why either of us would look elsewhere.  You said that - "Priest Royd is local pronounced like Pitts Royd local slang", so I thought we had found the place!

I'm getting confused, the brain cells aren't what they used to be.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 October 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Both
Thanks for your kind input again, Dobfarm. I have located the place name on the link you sent.  Strangely enough I joined a golf club today which is located within 1/2 mile from Priest Royd, but the only way to recce the area is by foot. I didn't have my outdoor gear on so may investigate at a later date.
I have just looked up the meaning of Royd and is a cleared area within a forest, close to a village, with Norse/Old English origins. Looking at the Pitts Beck siting, its much closer to Netherton village than Priest Royd. I will get my boots on and recce this as well, plus may visit the pub in the village!!

Margaret,
My brother, who instigated the research, is sceptical as to the connection with William and Elizabeth. He says he needs to find evidence of the abode of their sons wife, Margaret, otherwise he will keep placing a '?' in the family tree!

DNA might be a way forward, Michael. There is at least one descendant from William Hey and Elizabeth Taylor at ancestry, shown as cousin to my husband. Not sure exactly why you would have to research their son's wife before connecting the family to your tree. But you know your research better than anybody else!

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 October 18 00:33 BST (UK) »

sugarfizzle - Margaret

Happy to write a letter, but it looks like Michael lives nearby and could perhaps ask at the pub.

But I'm not sure why either of us would look elsewhere.  You said that - "Priest Royd is local pronounced like Pitts Royd local slang", so I thought we had found the place!

I'm getting confused, the brain cells aren't what they used to be.

Regards Margaret

Hi Margaret,

The lack of any buildings at Priests Royd is one concern! on old maps and the fact the beck in Netherton is called 'Pitts beck' which stands to reason the stream must run down a valley, clough or a dale that may have Pitts in the name of the place or farm to investigate local peoples knowledge.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 October 18 00:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Both

Margaret,

Pitts beck valley is close to the village of Netherton and no doubt would have more wooded areas in the 1770's with clearings could have been called Royd in Pitts beck valley  ???

Also fits the header of thread name -exactly on location

Royd Pitts, nr Netherton or Thornhill, Yorkshire
                                V                      V
                           Pitts beck   or   Priest Royd

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 20 October 18 03:05 BST (UK) »
A positive firm - That's where it was! is impossible to say as a fact.

But! 99% chance Pitts Royd is Glen Royd Netherton near the Star Inn

After talking to locals at "Horbury bridge, from what is the only info about an entry in an 18th century parish register of Thornhill, abode Pitts Royd, Netherton

Priest Royd is possible but its not in Netherton

-------

In Google map search box - enter just  -  Glen Royd WF4 4HR

What is coming up. SOUTH LANE NETHERTON WAKEFIELD

Planning Application at Glen Royd Netherton

http://www.wakefield.gov.uk/localplansitespecificplans/53-consultation-draft-2010-green-belt-review.pdf

See (near  bottom of list in link) W 142 housing planning application (numbers don't follow in order )

Says:- To retain green belt allocation

All I can only deduce/conclude from scant info and location at (Star Inn) South lane, Netherton

Pitts Royd was strongly possible from scant vague info and common sence basic logic, a secluded valley that Pitts beck ran/runs down at the back of the Star Inn Netherton

Glen Royd, South Lane, Netherton, Wakefield  WF4 4HR

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/glen-royd/south-lane/netherton/wakefield/wf4-4hr/25635085

So!! What is in Netherton is South Lane WF4 4HR

A Glen is a valley or

Dictionary says:

Glen  A NOUN

a small, narrow, secluded valley.

-----------

Pitts beck ( a small stream by South Lane, Netherton)

Pitts beck wood  South lane Netherton.

--
Best I can do! I'm afraid to say! as no positivity of exact location to say beyond doubt .::)

:)

Glen Royd, South Lane, Netherton, Wakefield WF4 4HR

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Netherton,+Wakefield+WF4+4HR/@53.6440431,-1.5763462,577m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x48796163bde8c11b:0x5c7dc0bb6931a68f!8m2!3d53.6438236!4d-1.5774668

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6437487,-1.5778931,3a,75y,340.73h,87.45t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suHySH5oX7zPUfLJ1n7qTaQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Offline shelleyite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 October 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
Morning Dobfarm

Thank you for your research into this matter and is wholly appreciated. From your posts I am assuming you are an expert in one or more forms of history, which, from the information you have furbished us with is helping to narrow/widen our focus.

There is certainly scant information available on the location of Pitt Royd in Thornhill area, which is frustrating, but given there is a documented Pitt Royd located in Silkstone, near Barnsley, and our ancestors did reside there, could it be they were associated with Thornhill Parish Church and travelled there from Silkstone or the Silkstone Hey's a completely different line?! Given most of the population around that time were tenants it might be an idea to research the landowners rental/tenancy records.
Savile Estate records are available for that research but for the Silkstone area who were the landlords there. This might be the way to break the impasse. Below is more documented evidence of Pitt Royd in Silkstone held by Barnsley Archives:
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/89505834-eed3-42e2-bcf2-7680817bcbcc
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/32d5ee2c-045e-467d-b268-0f0964900848

Thanks again for your time, effort and knowledge.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 October 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

First, I'm no expert in history  ;D other than blundering away by trial & error finding my own family history or helping other people finding their F H - leaning as we go - visiting, archives, graveyards and the like.

(I do know the areas you are researching ! as I travel them by car or bus with my free bus pass in my retirement and I've been doing my early Xmas present shopping in the good weather of late.

We have a bus service from Holmfirth to Penistone then it goes onto Chapeltown near Sheffield & Rotherham, that I use a lot, then I bus it from Penistone to Barnsley through Silkstone common and Silkstone village, returning home, I travel to Wakefield by bus for Barnsley, then a bus to Huddersfield that passes by the Star inn in Netherton. I also buy petrol in Dewsbury (1.20 a litre cheapest in West Yorkshire) and pass through Thornhill en-route to Wakefield by car.)

To travel to Thornhill parish from Silkstone parish at the shortest points would have crossed over 3 other parishes being either Emley or Sandal Magna parishes and then High Hoyland Parish and Cawthorne Parish over hills and farms seems doubtful on terrain alone besides the different church authorities rules & regs   . (See snippet parish map image)