Author Topic: I was just wondering.......  (Read 3942 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I was just wondering.......
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
Interesting story Jan. Must have been very frustrating for Thomas.  :(
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 00:49 BST (UK) »
My paternal grandfather named his home in NZ  "Springburn" - that's where they had lived in Glasgow.

Another relative from Scotland, who was an Early Settler to NZ )maternal) named his farm/home
"Kinoull", which was the name of the house he was born in - in Barr Scotland!!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline JanPennington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 05:09 BST (UK) »
Yes mowsehowse, Thomas Brown did have a bit of a frustrating time and a sad end to his life.  Having fought to get a railway to the area which would enable him to transport his coal he had to resign from Parliament due to a conflict of interest as he was selling coal to the state railway.  After his wife died he sold up everything and moved to Sydney and letters from one of his relatives suggests that in the months before he died he was been taken advantage of by a lawyer who possible was misappropriating some of his money.
Tomlinson, Gash, Faulkner, Dickinson, Dawson - Lincolnshire
Toms, Street, Witt, Harris, Foot(e) - Hampshire

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 06:07 BST (UK) »
I had always believed that Durham, North Carolina was named after the English County. Actually it was named after a person by that name.

It was named after Bartlett Snipes Durham. He was a country physician who donated land for a railroad station, so the city was named for him.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 06:54 BST (UK) »
Jaybelnz - that sort of supports my theory in reverse I think.

Jan - poor Thomas, you work hard all your life just for the law to take away your money!  :P

Barryd - Oh, that's a surprise, and fully endorses Mike's comment on page one.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 August 18 00:06 BST (UK) »
I wondered if 19th & 20th century emigrants gravitated towards places named for the place they had left.

Many emigrants had no choice of where they were being transported to & for others I think assisted emigration was much the same but with choices of a few places/areas at the time possibly dependant on the work being offered at the other end was the attraction?

Others later emigrated to where previously their relatives had gone to.

Overall, I think all scenarios can be counted in?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 August 18 08:33 BST (UK) »
I wondered if 19th & 20th century emigrants gravitated towards places named for the place they had left.

Many emigrants had no choice of where they were being transported to & for others I think assisted emigration was much the same but with choices of a few places/areas at the time possibly dependant on the work being offered at the other end was the attraction?

Others later emigrated to where previously their relatives had gone to.

Overall, I think all scenarios can be counted in?

Annie

Definitely Annie.  :)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 03 August 18 19:26 BST (UK) »
When travelling in foreign parts, I find it a little jarring to see places with the same names as places back home with which I'm familiar, especially when the foreign place has no other obvious connection with its namesake.
Newcastle in New South Wales is at least a port, and actually exports coal, like the -on-Tyne version did. However it has a suburb called Wallsend, which has nothing to do with the emperor Hadrian.
A huge number of places are named after people in authority. Australia is full of places named after Governor Macquarie, which must lead to many Australians experiencing jarring as they pass a Lake Macquarie which doesn't look like the one of their youth.

But there are a load of places documented as being  named after the homes of immigrants. A convict in my one-name-study named his new home in Van Diemen's Land "Marchweil", after his birth place near Wrexham. Myles Standish, the military man on the Mayflower, named his new estate "Duxbury", after his family's estate in Lancashire.

However, with forced migration, those around you were less likely to come from the same part of the world. New England, Canada and New Zealand, settled by people who had, for the most part, made a decision to go, might well head off to place names with which they were familiar. One of my Dunbabins from Cheshire headed to Pennsylvania, and his will showed that he died in Aston, Chester County, which I initially confused with Aston, County Chester. Earlier Quakers from his area had named the area in New England. Records show that he had a letter of introduction when he arrived in 1714.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 03 August 18 19:49 BST (UK) »
Fortunately, the settlers did not always resort to names copied from the old country so many lovely Native American names were retained even though some of them did suffer from being mangled into English spelling.  It's hard to beat Penobscot, Narragansett, Apalachicola, Okeechobee, Kankakee, Merrimac ......

[ps  -  New England is comprised of the six northeasternmost states; Pennsylvania is not part of it].
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis