Author Topic: Advice please on which test to do to maybe break down my brick wall.  (Read 2933 times)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please on which test to do to maybe break down my brick wall.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 July 18 15:26 BST (UK) »
I wish I knew more about the process of the Census.  For example did the householder or enumerator fill in the original form.  The form we see is a fair copy I presume?
As I understands it, from 1841 - 1901, the enumerator copied out the householder's return sheet [or took dictation from householder if the latter had had difficulty] & this is what we see today. The originals were destroyed. Only for  1911 do we see the scan of the householder's own entry.
http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/articles/census.html
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Braytons

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:28 BST (UK) »
I wish I knew more about the process of the Census.  For example did the householder or enumerator fill in the original form.  The form we see is a fair copy I presume?
As I understands it, from 1841 - 1901, the enumerator copied out the householder's return sheet [or took dictation from householder if the latter had had difficulty] & this is what we see today. The originals were destroyed. Only for  1911 do we see the scan of the householder's own entry.
http://www.historyhouse.co.uk/articles/census.html

Josey Thank you for that link.  Makes very informative reading.  As I suspected some records were lost.  It's definitely an inexact science.

Braytons

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:45 BST (UK) »

I think perhaps you should not concentrate on hoping to find DNA matches with any children, natural or adopted, of Robert and Mary Vincent.

It really does depend upon who has tested and who hasn't, and you may not be able to find anybody suitable to test or who has been tested.

If you focus more on your line and your descent from your grandmother, you may get further.

If you do autosomal DNA testing your focus would be on your grandmother's parents, not her siblings. You look for matches to your Most Recent Common Ancestor or MRCA. You will find matches on your great grandmother's and great grandfather's line, whoever they may be.

If you get matches to the Vincent and Yorke families you know she was not adopted. If you get no matches to that line, you may share matches with another line which could help your searches.

For example, if I did not know who my great grandparents were for any reason, I would have found a second and third cousin as matches, 4 members of the same family as 4th cousins, someone else a shared match with all of us, so 8 people shared matches. It wouldn't have taken me long to find out which line they were all connected to, even if I didn't know which specific family member I was looking at.

That's how adoptees do it, they have no ideas as to their parent's names, but they hope to get parent, half sibling or first cousin matches initially, followed by slightly more distant matches to back the theory up.

My advice, FWIW, would be to have an autosomal DNA test and see what comes up.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
An interesting thread on a similar topic.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=796057.18

On page 3, Gadget thinks she had found her great grandfather, after a lot of searching.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Braytons

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 July 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Margaret.   :)

Clear and to the point.  I will take you advice and do an autosomal DNA test.  Would that be Ancestry or can you recommend any other suitable ones?  I will also look at the thread you mention.  Understanding all the jargon will be a steep learning curve.

Chasing after living relatives is not something I want to do anyway.  :-\

Braytons

Offline Braytons

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 18:12 BST (UK) »

I think perhaps you should not concentrate on hoping to find DNA matches with any children, natural or adopted, of Robert and Mary Vincent.

It really does depend upon who has tested and who hasn't, and you may not be able to find anybody suitable to test or who has been tested.

If you focus more on your line and your descent from your grandmother, you may get further.

If you do autosomal DNA testing your focus would be on your grandmother's parents, not her siblings. You look for matches to your Most Recent Common Ancestor or MRCA. You will find matches on your great grandmother's and great grandfather's line, whoever they may be.

If you get matches to the Vincent and Yorke families you know she was not adopted. If you get no matches to that line, you may share matches with another line which could help your searches.

For example, if I did not know who my great grandparents were for any reason, I would have found a second and third cousin as matches, 4 members of the same family as 4th cousins, someone else a shared match with all of us, so 8 people shared matches. It wouldn't have taken me long to find out which line they were all connected to, even if I didn't know which specific family member I was looking at.

That's how adoptees do it, they have no ideas as to their parent's names, but they hope to get parent, half sibling or first cousin matches initially, followed by slightly more distant matches to back the theory up.

My advice, FWIW, would be to have an autosomal DNA test and see what comes up.

Regards Margaret

Hello Margaret and everyone else! 

I have the results back from my Ancestry DNA test and have found a couple of matches which is pleasing. 

BUT  Referring back to my problem which I mentioned in July.  I think my grandmother Mary Vincent born 1875 was not the natural child of her mother and/or father. It is possible she was the child of her mother Mary Vincent by some other man.  However I think she must have been informally adopted.  With this in mind and with my results is there any way I could discover more about this problem?  Can you or anyone give me any hints of where to look for clues?

Kind regards Braytons