Author Topic: McAleese family from Antrim in 1860  (Read 562 times)

Offline soapy1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McAleese family from Antrim in 1860
« on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:07 BST (UK) »
My husband is descended from the McAleese family and his grt grandfather John McAleese may have come from Dervock . - he came to Scotland and married Sarah Gallagher in Coatbridge in Lanarkshire in 1887 and both his parents were still alive in Ireland. I also think that his sister Sarah or Sally remained in Ireland and married into the Winters family - One mystery is what became of one of his sons called Patrick- we do know he was in Airdrie in the 1940s but nothing after that,
It would be brilliant if someone recognised these names - thanks in advance
Beresford/Beresfield/Gamble/Beck  in Co Down Ireland & Airdrie, Scotland // Burnett/Burnet in , Middlebie/Annan Areas,//  Wilson, Dornan, McAleese from Airdrie & Ireland

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McAleese family from Antrim in 1860
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
My husband is descended from the McAleese family and his grt grandfather John McAleese may have come from Dervock . - he came to Scotland and married Sarah Gallagher in Coatbridge in Lanarkshire in 1887 and both his parents were still alive in Ireland. I also think that his sister Sarah or Sally remained in Ireland and married into the Winters family - One mystery is what became of one of his sons called Patrick- we do know he was in Airdrie in the 1940s but nothing after that,

....and who were they??
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:14 BST (UK) »

...and how old was he?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
 C Reg Birth results for John McAleese from 1864 to 1870

Displaying results 1 - 8 of 8. http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mfg/

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:23 BST (UK) »

Why?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
To add to the above questions-
grt grandfather John McAleese may have come from Dervock
What indications do you have to think he might have come from Dervock?

Start with the facts you already know and tell us-
Marriage certificate (1887)- how old is John, what is his occupation and what details of his parents are on the certificate?
Death certificate- details of parents?
Where does the information John had a sister Sarah/Sally that married ? Winters come from?

If we have the parents' names there will be Irish records to check but not much point in us wasting time without full details to start with. If you don't have the above Scottish certificates they can be easily viewed on Scotland's People site for a few credits. It would alo be worth checking for John in each possible census in case other family members are staying in the household.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!