Author Topic: Volunteers Needed To Make Commemorative Poppies  (Read 4125 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Volunteers Needed To Make Commemorative Poppies
« on: Sunday 29 July 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
https://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/poppies-a-symbol-of-sacrifice-1-9269062

I have come across this article in my local newspaper asking for volunteers to come forward to knit or crochet poppies.  These are going to be used in display in the cemetery gates in our area where there are war graves.

This is the first time I have heard the story of Moina Michael and how she was inspired with the poppy idea.  I do like her response poem:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe=strict&source=hp&ei=bppdW5iPCoHYgQbbvpPwDg&q=moina+michael+poppy+project&oq=moina+michael&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-hp.1.4.46j0l4.2722.9084..14315...0.0...1265.4325.0j7j3j1j6-1j1......0....1.......3..41j46i131j0i131j0i10.tDPzmB78DYE#imgrc=jkb6B-5ES3rQfM:

This was in response to this poem:

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/poems/john-mccrae-in-flanders-fields.htm

It sounds like they will needed a large number to make the displays eyecatching. 

I am going to volunteer to make some this week.  I was wondering if any of you out there might like to help out with this too.  (From the write up (see link)it sounds like it is possible to call in to the centre and they will provide you with a pattern and wool.)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteers Needed To Make Commemorative Poppies
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 July 18 19:04 BST (UK) »
I am glad they are for the cemetery gates as if more people buy knitted or crocheted ones to wear for Remembrance Day fewer of the original sort will be bought and the money to assist our wounded troops will be much less.
I was bought a poppy brooch, enamel  and lovely but I use it to pin one from the British Legion on my coat.
There will be great importance attached to Armistice Day this year ,it being a hundred years since the end of WW1 in November.
I hope that does not mean it will all fade away,as many people think it should.
Such a few moments to remember so much
I have seen the original hand written poem by John Macrae ,it was in St. George’s Memorial Church in Ypres,but now in the WWl museum in the Cloth Hall.
               Viktoria.,

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response Victoria. 

There seems to be so many plans afoot to commemorate those who served and died in the Great War. This is just one creative way to get people remembering what sacrifices were made.  These poppies are for decoration of the cemetery gates so won't deplete money away from the fund-raising poppies.

I think we should remember the sacrifice that was made then.  I have several ancestors who were killed during the Great War. I do a bit of War research in my own time for a local group and the personal stories I come across demonstrate clearly the sacrifice.  One person I researched was only a fifteen year old boy who was accepted because he was tall and could pass for older. 

Wow!  That is something that you have actually seen John's original handwritten poem!

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 18 11:00 BST (UK) »
I have just popped along and now have a pattern and some wool to get started.  I was also treated to a viewing of the Memorial Garden there and spied the name of a North Shields ancestor - Cuthbert Saint.

I have been told however, that the best day to pop along  regarding this venture is WEDNESDAYS - as the lady who is the driving force behind this venture is there then on this day.

Look how many have been made already - but there is still a long way to go - so any further offers of help will be most appreciated.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 18 19:37 BST (UK) »
My town is having them too.
Cowban

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 18 20:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response Maiden Stone.  Is your town doing a similar thing with the poppies or something different perhaps with display?

I have been told that eventually after the display on the Cemetery gates during the Armistice period the poppies are to be taken and displayed in the Memorial Garden at the Linskill Centre in North Shields.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 18 20:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response Maiden Stone.  Is your town doing a similar thing with the poppies or something different perhaps with display?

I think they will be at the town hall.
Cowban

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 August 18 19:23 BST (UK) »
Are you helping out with this Maiden Stone?

If any one else's town is engaged in a poppy venture please feel free to mention it on this thread - especially if help is needed from others who may be happy to help if they only knew about it.

I have been told by the man I spoke to on Monday at the Linskill Centre, that North Shields are aiming for 4,000 poppies, which is said to be how many North Tynesiders died as a result of serving in the Great War. 

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 August 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
I have now heard from the lady who is the driving force behind this poppy making campaign and she has provided some more helpful information.

The aim is (hopefully) to be able to display poppies on the gates of all the Cemetery gates in North Tyneside.  To date they now have 2000 knitted or crocheted poppies but need at least 2000 more so a lot of work still needs to be done.

They would like all the poppies ready by the back end of September.

There will be a big display over a 2 - 3 week period straddling the 11th September.  (Incidentally, the man I spoke to the other day at the Linskill Centre told me that after the big display the plan is that the exhibit will be moved to the Memorial Garden at the Linskill.)

Any poppies you make to help this campaign can either be dropped in at the Linskill Centre, Room B9 - this office is usually manned from 10 am - 4 pm Monday to Friday. 

Alternatively, if you would like to post your poppy the address is:

Poppy Display,
Northumbria World War One Commemorative Project,
Room B9
The Linskill Centre
Linskill Terrace,
North Shields
NE30 2AY

Perhaps you may have a Tyneside ancestor who you may want to commemorate by making a poppy in their memory or perhaps you just like knitting or crochet and would be happy to help out.  Either way I am sure any poppy donations will be greatly appreciated.