Author Topic: Volunteers Needed To Make Commemorative Poppies  (Read 4211 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteers Needed To Make Commemorative Poppies
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 20 October 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
I have had an update regarding the displays which I am now passing on.

On Monday the first putting up of displays is going to begin at Dudley Cemetery.  Display work at other Tyneside cemeteries will follow on after this one.

Work at Preston and Whitley Bay Cemeteries will be carried out at a weekend so as not to cause any disruption to any cremation services.

I have also been told that poppies are still wanted so please carry on making these.

A big thank you to anyone who has helped or who is still helping with this commemoration project - your help very much appreciated.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 28 October 18 13:23 GMT (UK) »
https://www.newsguardian.co.uk/news/north-tyneside-s-war-memorials-undergo-repairs-1-9415107

This is an article which appears in my local newspaper - 'News Guardian - October 25 2018.

As well as the good news about the repair programme which is planned for local war memorials - if you scroll down there is a mention about the poppy displays and some of the local groups who have been involved in helping out with this.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 13:22 GMT (UK) »
I have made these two poppies in commemoration of two local men (brothers) who died serving their country in the Great War..

John George Battista .. 5 November 1916

&

Vincent Battista .. 24 September 1916

I have been told that these poppies will be put on a large 'LEST WE FORGET' signed which is currently being made for Preston Cemetery railings.

There is currently a thread being worked on in which RootsChatters like myself have been trying to solve the brickwall question of what became of John George's and Vincent's Father - Giovanni Battista.  No death or burial can be found to date.  If you think you might be able to help pop over to this thread for full details.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793871.0

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Just to give an update on the poppy displays for Tyneside ..

I have been along this morning and the office is in a hive of activity ..

I have been told that poppy displays are now up at Dudley, Earsdon St Alban, Preston, Whitley Bay and Holy Cross.  More poppies are yet to go up too. 

I was shown a video clip of the poppy displays that have been put up at Preston Cemetery so far and I have to say, this looks pretty darned impressive!  Those volunteer folks at the Northumbria World War One Commemoration Project are certainly doing us proud with all their amazing work!! :D

I have been told that we can keep taking our poppies in until Sunday. 

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 09 November 18 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I thought I would just post a few photos of the poppy displays which are now exhibited at Preston Cemetery North Shields ..