Author Topic: Volunteers Needed To Make Commemorative Poppies  (Read 4123 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Volunteers Needed To Make Commemorative Poppies
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 August 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
This is my first knitted poppy ..

I made this in commemoration of my ancestor Jacob Conroy who was killed in action on the 25th September 1915 during the Great War.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 August 18 10:05 BST (UK) »
I was talking to someone yesterday who suggested I should post the pattern.  There are a variety of patterns available via the internet and folks can get various patterns too at the Linskill.  However, this was the pattern I worked to below.  One ball of red wool will make lots of poppies.

Cast on 120 sts

Row 1: Knit (I knit in the back of sts for first row as it makes a straighter line but you don't have to)
Row 2: Purl
Row 3: Knit
Row 4: Purl
Row 5: Knit 3 sts together across the row (40 sts)
Row 6: Purl
Row 7: Knit
Row 8: Purl
Row 9: Knit
Row 10: Purl 2 sts together across the row (20 sts)
Row 11: Knit
Row 12: Purl
Row 13: Knit
Row 14: Purl
Row 15: Knit 2 sts together across the row (10 sts)
Cut yarn leaving a tail of about 20 cm.  Thread tail through yarn needle and slip all remaining sts on the yarn tail and pull tight.  Pull around in a circle and then sew up the seam.

For the black centre either sew on a button or using black wool cast on 16 sts knit one line then cast off.  Curl and sew this in a circle and sew onto the poppy.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 August 18 10:22 BST (UK) »
Doing a great job there RTL. :)

This thread is from 2013 for Remembrance Poppies, various patterns for crochet/knitted poppies.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=654785.0

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 August 18 11:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you kiwihalfpint for the compliment and for posting this link.  I didn't know about this one and it looks very interesting.  I am going to work through reading this all through this coming week.

I work full time and have family commitments and because of this and my hopeless case of an addiction to RootsChat and all things genealogy I work slowly in my knitting progress.  I used to know how to crochet but I have since forgotten how to do it.

However, even though I self-confessedly work slowly, I suppose every little helps.  I am almost finished my second poppy.  I plan to post a photo of each of my poppies dedicating each one to the name of someone (either ancestors or other local people) as my own way of commemorating Tyneside Great War sacrifice.  I would like to dedicate one to my Great Uncle John Conroy who died on 5 April 1918 but he was a Sacriston man and this particular project is only for those from Tyneside.

Now let's see .. I am hoping some people will help me as otherwise as 2000 more poppies are needed and I have only completed 1 or now nearly 2 .. only 1,998 to go .. and by the end of September .. I had better get back to my needles tomorrow ..! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 09:53 BST (UK) »
I knitted these - my second and third poppies for the display in remembrance of my ancestor Edward Conroy and his brother-in-law Cuthbert Saint.  Both were killed in the Great War.

For the benefit of any other RootsChatters who may be researching the same family tree this is a memoriam that Edward's sister placed in the Evening Chronicle dated - March 8, 1918:

'Conroy.- In loving memory of my dear brother, Private Edward Conroy, R.F.A. who was killed in action March 8th, 1917.  Ever remembered by his sisters Mary Ann and Lizzie and family  Respected by all  Deeply mourned.'

This is the memoriam Mary Ann placed for her husband in the Evening Chronicle - January 7, 1919:

'Saint.- In loving memory of my dear husband, Pte. C. Saint, 678, N.F., who died of wounds Jan. 7, 1918.  Ever remembered by his loving wife and children.'

Cuthbert Saint was Mary Ann's second husband.  They married at the registry office on 18 June 1904.  Mary Ann's first husband was Thomas Nichol she married him in the September quarter of 1897.  If anyone knows the actual place at which they married I would be interested in hearing of this to add to my own family tree records.  Thank you.

There is a memorial inscription on a grave for Mary Ann and her son, also a Cuthbert Saint in Preston Cemetery, North Shields in the Roman Catholic section 'J'.

Mary Ann never remarried and died on 7 August 1952.

R.I.P.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:45 BST (UK) »
I am attaching a photo of the last four poppies which I have made.  I took the seven poppies in total I have made to date along to the Linskill Centre on Friday.  I must say I have enjoyed knitting these little poppies which are easy to make. 

The lady who is in charge of this project to make poppies for these Tyneside displays has told me they are doing very well.  Around 3000 poppies have now been made but they still need to have about another thousand made by the end of September. 

While I was at the Linskill I took some time out to look around and relax in the Memorial Garden.  This is worth a visit, especially if you have ancestors who were killed in the Great War from North Shields, Tynemouth or Cullercoats.  They will be likely to be named and commemorated in the Memorial Garden at Linskill.

If you can spare a little time to knit or crochet even just one poppy and take or send this to the Linskill, I am sure this will be most appreciated. 

And of course, a big thank you to any of you who may have already sent or taken a poppy along. :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
Lovely red poppy situated in the Memorial Garden at Linskill.  I am told this was a gift presented from the French Consulate.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 20 August 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
Sign and poppy wreath in the Memorial Garden ..

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 05 September 18 12:12 BST (UK) »
My sister-in-law has said it is okay for me to post a photograph of 12 poppies she has made for the Tyneside displays  :) ....