Author Topic: Barnet Franks, died 1815  (Read 1583 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Barnet Franks, died 1815
« on: Sunday 29 July 18 12:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Barnet was Jewish and buried at Brady Street Cemetery in 1815. His father's name is given in Hebrew as Gabriel Gasdorf. Gasdorf appears to be the Hebrew for Franks, as it is used for his son's 1810 marriage too. Can anyone find any record of Gabriel or anything on the origin of the pair?

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Barnet Franks, died 1815
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 May 19 19:04 BST (UK) »
There is an online tree that claims Barnet Franks was involved in a court case in 1773 and 1776 (assault). The former refers to him as 'of Chequer Court, Towerhill' and 'Late of Calais, mariner'.

If he was a mariner then his father might be the Gabriel Franks who was in the Marine Police and murdered in 1798 (Google it).

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 May 19 19:12 BST (UK) »
His father was Gabriel! That’s given on his marriage record! Thanks!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 June 19 03:50 BST (UK) »
"The following Persons being Fugitives for Debt and beyond the Seas on the FIRST Day of JANUARY, One Thousand Seven Hundred and Seventy-two, and having surrendered themselves to the Gaolers or Keepers of the respective Prisons or Gaols hereafter mentioned, do hereby give Notice, That they intend to take the Benefit of an Act of Parliament, passed in the Twelth Year of the Reign of his present Majesty King George the Third, intituled, An Act for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors, and for indemnifying the Marshall of the King's Bench Prison from Prosecutions at Law for certain Escapes from the said Prison, at the next General or Quarter Sessions of the Peace to be held in and for the County, Riding, Division, City, Town, Liberty, or Place, or any Adjounment thereof, which shall happen next after THIRTY Days from the FIRST Publication of the undermentioned names, viz ...
First Notice.
Barnet Franks, formerly of Chequer-Court, Towerhill, London, late of Calais in France, Mariner."

London Gazette. (April 10, 1773 - April 13, 1773)

Also, I'm assuming you have used this search?
http://synagoguescribes.com/blog/searchres

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 June 19 05:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that! Yes, I have used Synagogue Scribes before. What exactly does this mean? Was he in debt and fled to France? He must’ve returned to England as he was buried at Brady Street Jewish Cemetery in 1815.

Also, are there any details of the 1776 assault case? I’ve not found any articles on Barnet Franks on the FindMyPast section for newspapers.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 June 19 06:20 BST (UK) »
London Lives 1690-1820 has the 1776 case dated 1 September he is listed as Barnett Franks.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 June 19 08:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both! That’s just great. I’ll take a look at all of that now.

Offline Richard Knott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 June 19 08:19 BST (UK) »
His father was Gabriel!
...which is, of course, why I mentioned the reference; although there is not proof that this (of the ones to Barnet) are the same people as your ancestors.

Good luck in trying to establish links.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk