Author Topic: Northumberland Parish Records on Family Search  (Read 4099 times)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland Parish Records on Family Search
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

That link took me to a different page from which I was looking at Northumberland on. My reading of the findmypast part is that is no more than confirming if you have a subscription you can view what records findmypast have, which is not all the records familysearch has. Could be wrong though, time will tell
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 September 18 01:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

That link took me to a different page from which I was looking at Northumberland on. My reading of the findmypast part is that is no more than confirming if you have a subscription you can view what records findmypast have, which is not all the records familysearch has. Could be wrong though, time will tell

It does say The images are also available to all viewers for a fee at FindMyPast
But all I can find on FindMyPast are transcriptions (which were done by NDFHS) so I am quietly hoping that the Northumberland Archives have finally agreed to grant someone a licence for the images and FindMyPast haven't got round to it yet.

Ok so to be able to see them you'd have to purchase a subscription but, for me, the price of a sub beats having to travel hundreds of miles  - and then onward to the middle of nowhere (with no access by public transport) to get to Woodhorn.

I am not holding my breath (I suspect that FS may have it wrong) but I'd really welcome it if it does happen :-)

In the meantime, as the Scottish schools have been back for a week or so, I can go to our local LDS FHC next week with a list of what I want to see :-)

Boo

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 29 September 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
I found images for many Northumberland parishes here. They aren't indexed, not necessarily in date order either and some years missing.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/index?owc=9K5M-L29%3A13617901%3Fcc%3D1309819
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 March 19 18:09 GMT (UK) »
The images attached to the collection " England, Norhumberland Parish Registers" seem to be now available to view by clicking on the icon. I have just found, for example, the burial of my gg grandmother in the Parish of Lambley in 1859 - there are no Bts for this parish and so I am delighted. Have fun, and as Ticketyboo has said on another thread, it might not last!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 March 19 18:10 GMT (UK) »
A huge number of records are unlocked at the moment.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 17 March 19 07:33 GMT (UK) »
What has happened to these records??

I managed to upload a lot of marriages in Earsdon on Friday and have come back to it today - and nothing  :(

Also no access to the newspapers today.

Very disappointing. A lot of these records are not available anywhere else

GEDMatch Kit no. CE7119959

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…
(Northumberland, Cumberland, Ireland)

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 March 19 11:52 GMT (UK) »
What has happened to these records??

I managed to upload a lot of marriages in Earsdon on Friday and have come back to it today - and nothing  :(

Also no access to the newspapers today.

Very disappointing. A lot of these records are not available anywhere else

I'd guess that on Friday, Family Search were doing 'something' on the website/servers. Probably accidentally, records that had been locked had the lock flag (temporarily) removed.

I assume they have now finished whatever they were doing and these records have been re-locked - to comply with their agreement with the record holders.
If Family Search were allowed to let the public have online access then it would be so, the record holders (presumably Northumberland Archives in this case) wont grant that permission.

All of these locked records are available - at the archives - which isn't always reachable for many of us.

Many of the locked records are available to view at LDS Family History Centres - there may be one near you.

Friday was happenchance, it was nice while it lasted, but its doubtful that it will re-occur.

Boo

Offline Cavanaghs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 March 19 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Boo.

I don't have a fh centre anywhere near me. It is so frustrating. I live abroad and always wanted to go to the centre at The National Archives but even that closed down recently - on the grounds everything is available online! I suppose SoG in London have authorized access - will check that out!

I had understood that FindMyPast had bought these Northumberland records but they also never make them available. Hopefully just a timing issue? To be released at a strategic time?

It's just so frustrating!! I hoovered up / uploaded hundreds of records on Friday for my main lines and that will keep me busy for ages - more brick walls uncovered. But many of my ancestors are locked away in that dataset! I want them out!
GEDMatch Kit no. CE7119959

Maternal: Thirlwell, Dobbins, Stamp, Rochester, Laws, Nicholson, Cavanagh, Jessop, Clough/Cleugh, Charlton, Weightman, Swinhoe, Swainson, Purdie, Carney…
(Northumberland, Cumberland, Ireland)

Paternal: Gilmour, McGrath, Oram, Green(e), Hepplewhite, Graham, Bugbird, Hanley, Hutton, Bellott, Busfield, Blake, Bugbird, Dwyer...
(Ireland, County Durham, especially Hartlepool, Whitby, North Yorkshire, Middlesex, Surrey, ia)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 March 19 15:09 GMT (UK) »
I thought I saw recently that although the LDS have moved out of TNA and into SOG you can still use some computers at TNA to access LDS films that are only viewable at a LDS family history centre  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk