Author Topic: Kelly ancestors is it mission impossible?  (Read 6184 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly ancestors is it mission impossible?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
Irish newspapers show various references to a Constable Owen Heavey which might be of interest. Do his service records give an indication of postings/dates?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
Bessie Quilter also gets a few mentions-

Kerry Evening Post, 2 Feb.1898: … to the gums. warned her that it was poison, and told her how to use it. It was a common care for toothache. ... Bessie Quilter, sister of deceased, said her sister had two teeth drawn, and was in great agony. After it happened, deceased told her ...
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1898/05835/4652698.pdf

Kerry Evening Post, 23 Mar.1901: ... of midwife for the Tralee district at £20 a year was next taken up. There were three applicants for the position; Miss Bessie Quilter; Mrs J Carey, and Miss Norah Hester. On a division, Miss Quitter waa elected by votes Mrs Margaret O’Leary was unanimously...

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
Eugene and Owen are interchangeable so he could be Owen Heavey-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Drumcondra/St__Columba_s_Road_Lower/27168

Marriage of Owen and Emma-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1905/10183/5704790.pdf

Owen's death?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1940/04729/4264540.pdf

That info was given here!!

by   Sean Ryan
Posts    109
District Inspector 2nd Class
District Inspector 2nd Class

February 24th, 2018,
4:37 pm #25
Owen Heavey married Emma Butterly nee Clinton in Glasnevin on 25 Oct 1905.  His father was Owen Heavey, a farmer who was dead and her father was Richard Clinton , a farmer and dead.
He resided at 4 Killarney Parade, Dublin and she resided at 8 Lower St., Bridgets Rd., Druncondra.
In the 1911 census they are residing in St Columba's Rd. Lower,  Druncondra.  Owen is Ex Head Const. RIC and born in Co Galway and Emma is shown born in New York

https://irishconstabulary.com/sergeant-john-quilter-and-eugene-heavey-t2080-s15.html?sid=f58ad707c85013ea7b221f1678c3e301#p10204

but wasn't even mentioned here!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
Unless a link to previous details are posted we have no way of knowing such details have already been found.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:45 BST (UK) »
January 15th, 2016, 5:18 pm #3
He was born in Ahabeg, Lixnaw, Kerry in 1864. His full name was John Michael Quilter. I had access to a record( internet) which shows him to be a sergeant. The rest on the record were constables. He was given a service medal in 1903. In the 1911 census he was living in Glen, Ballybricken Limerick (aged 47). Type J and Q TO BRING UP THE RECORD.

December 29th, 2017, 2:03 pm #12
Owen Heavey 35351 was born circa 1848 in Galway (East), near Lotrd Dunsandles estate (who recommended him for the RIC).  He retired as a Head Constable on 19 March 1901, and died 22 Nov 1915 - his widow was Emma Heavey who was American by birth.
Owen served in a number of counties including the Reserve (at Dublin).

https://irishconstabulary.com/sergeant-john-quilter-and-eugene-heavey-t2080.html#p9941

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:46 BST (UK) »
Possibly Emma Clinton-
1855 census- https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K67X-T6F

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
Unless a link to previous details are posted we have no way of knowing such details have already been found.

Yes they should have been mentioned or people end up reinventing the wheel!

I just googled "Constable Owen Heavey"   and found that then posted a link to it to stop others  wasting time looking       for what has already been found!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:52 BST (UK) »
To be fair the thread was meant to be about the Kelly's, it was me who dragged the Heavey's into it.
It was just meant to be a passing observation for when the OP was looking at the father.

Offline Debbyh

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:55 BST (UK) »
That's interesting that Owen and Eugene are interchangeable. My husband has always wondered. I do hope this turns out to be him! My apologies Sean I did mention the forum in an earlier post and it was info on the site from both yourself and others which helped confirm my ideas. No offence was intended. Thank you for the news references to Bessie. I am on hubby's laptop as mine has crashed with Owen's records on it so will download again and check. I think Peter on RIC forum equated head constable to an inspector so I can see why he might have appeared so frequently.  John Michael Quilter is definitely Bessie's brother. Will now track both Emma and Owen as well as the Kelly leads, as I am now even more certain it is him. Thank you for all your help everyone and I apologise for any inconvenience I may have caused.