Author Topic: Kelly ancestors is it mission impossible?  (Read 6221 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly ancestors is it mission impossible?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
they appear to be children of John Kelly and Ellen Fitzmaurice who married 1866
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01mft/

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:43 BST (UK) »
If Eugene Heavey (the father) was serving as a RIC officer in Kerry than he's not likely to be from Kerry I think.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
If Eugene Heavey (the father) was serving as a RIC officer in Kerry than he's not likely to be from Kerry I think.

Can not serve in native county, wife's native county or a county with direct family residing therein....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:54 BST (UK) »

Offline Debbyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:55 BST (UK) »
Quite right. He is a very elusive character. The story is Eugene ( hubby's grandfather) was given his father's name. He was baptised Quilter but on the 1901 and 19011 census appears under the name Heavey living with his relatives. So I assume Heavey was the father's surname. His mother Bessie is there in 1901 but has moved by 1911. My mother in law says her husband talked of his grandmother so she must have been around after his mother died.There is no Eugene Heavey RIC who fits the bill but I did find an Owen. Bessie's brother was in the RIC and went onto become a sergeant. Again I assume it was through her brother Bessie met the RIC Heavey. I have been in contact with the RIC forum where I spoke with someone who it turns out is a  cousin of my husband who says his mother believed the RIC Heavey came from Athenry in Galway. Bessie never married and was a nurse or midwife. She stayed in the area up to 1911 at least and must have been some character! They are an interesting family to research!

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
he did'nt live with his father
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kerry/Kiltomy/Ahabeg_East/1420865/

Eugene Heavey (the father) was serving as a RIC officer in Kerry than he's not likely to be from Kerry   

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Quite right. He is a very elusive character. The story is Eugene ( hubby's grandfather) was given his father's name. He was baptised Quilter but on the 1901 and 19011 census appears under the name Heavey living with his relatives. So I assume Heavey was the father's surname. His mother Bessie is there in 1901 but has moved by 1911. My mother in law says her husband talked of his grandmother so she must have been around after his mother died.There is no Eugene Heavey RIC who fits the bill but I did find an Owen. Bessie's brother was in the RIC and went onto become a sergeant. Again I assume it was through her brother Bessie met the RIC Heavey. I have been in contact with the RIC forum where I spoke with someone who it turns out is a  cousin of my husband who says his mother believed the RIC Heavey came from Athenry in Galway. Bessie never married and was a nurse or midwife. She stayed in the area up to 1911 at least and must have been some character! They are an interesting family to research!

Stuffing everything into 1 paragraph makes difficult reading!!

Have you found the father who was in RIC in census??

Offline Debbyh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 30 July 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
My apologies! I have been tracking an Owen Heavey. My instinct is it was Owen as:
1.  when I looked into derivatives of the name Owen I found Eugene. Certainly the name Eugene does not appear in the Quilter line until then.
2.  He fits the bill as regards being born born in Athenry, Galway.
3. The info I also got was that Eugene RIC died in Dublin and the Owen Heavey I found did die in Dublin too
But I cannot be 100% sure it is him.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!