Author Topic: Trowbridge marriage 1737  (Read 2124 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Trowbridge marriage 1737
« on: Monday 30 July 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Can anyone view the marriage of John Provis and Mary Adlam? I'm hoping that John was living in Bremhill as it would tie to my family.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Trowbridge marriage 1737
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:44 BST (UK) »
The marriage licence states that they were both of the parish of Warminster.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:45 BST (UK) »
That can't be mine then :( thanks for looking!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:48 BST (UK) »
That can't be mine then :( thanks for looking!

I don’t understand why you think this rules out your man?

The marriage record simply shows where they were resident at the time of the marriage, not where they originally came from.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
It doesn't rule it out, but I can hardly cite it in my reports as I cannot conclusively prove that these two are my ancestors, John and Mary Provis, as there is no reference to Bremhill, where the couple baptised my ancestor, William, in 1745.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
It doesn't rule it out, but I can hardly cite it in my reports

Quite right, but you said

That can't be mine then

which is slightly different!

I’m not trying to be awkward  :) just pointing out that it’s an error to assume that a marriage record shows where someone hails from.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 July 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
We have covered this before; I fully recognise that a stated parish is not always where an individual was born, but had the Trowbridge marriage stated 'John Provis of Bremhill' then I would note it down, as John Provis did live in (but was not necessarily from) Bremhill, and this would fit.

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 July 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
How many couples do you think there are called John Provis and Mary Adlam getting married in Wiltshire in 1737? Are you absolutely sure he was living in Bremhill before the marriage and if you are sure what evidence do you have to prove the fact?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 July 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
I don't know that her surname was Adlam, but it was the only marriage that fit. All I know is that a John and Mary Provis christened my ancestor in Bremhill in 1745. I was hoping that this marriage might be theirs and any mention of Bremhill in the record would confirm it.