Author Topic: Wilsher blood line, Nottingham, Joseph Wilsher  (Read 34730 times)

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wilsher blood line, Nottingham, Joseph Wilsher
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 18:06 BST (UK) »
Well I've had my granddads birth certified turn up,

my Great grandmother was called Laura Grogan formerly Waddingham and my Great granddad was Joesph Wilsher, he was a fruit hawker and they lived at 45 st peters street Nottingham.

When I looked 45 st peters street up, it seems to be on a industrial estate, any one know if there was a traveller camp there in 1929, also has any one come a cross this family??

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
    I received your private message, i will not be writing back to you in that way, its not personal, its just i attract some bizare people, i may have some references to the people you search for, i will put them on for you and all the other people who have an interest in the people you choose to write about

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 23:22 BST (UK) »
Do you know if the Wilsher name changes a lot?? since I've been looking I seem to find many different spellings...

Yeppers. Back then, many people were, still, barely literate and the clerk writing their given names might have spelled it almost phonetically, according to what they were hearing.

That's why, when I checked The Book of Bob (http://www.robertdawson.co.uk/A-Romany-in-the-Family_A13IA9.aspx  Sadly, now out of print) I was content to find " Wilshaw / Willshire / Wiltshire " listed. I knew it was you  :)

Bob lists 'it' as a name given by Gypsys from 1801 and still in use. He's come across it in: BRK, CAM, DBY, DUR, Midlands, NTH, OXF.

Being a Hawker, and living in a tent or wagon, with that name? I'd dare to suggest his credentials are about as solid as they get!  ;D

GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 August 18 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I can see a possible birth of a Laura Waddingham in 1904 Nottingham, and a possible marriage to a John Grogan in 1923 Derby, but when/where did she marry Joseph Wilshire?

Keyboard86

PS Odd to have an address of 45, St Peters Road?
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 August 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I can see a possible birth of a Laura Waddingham in 1904 Nottingham, and a possible marriage to a John Grogan in 1923 Derby, but when/where did she marry Joseph Wilshirw?

Keyboard86

Hello again, from what I can see, Laura died 2 years after the birth of Joseph Henry Wilsher 1929, She still had the name Laura Grogan, It would seem she never divorced John Grogan. In the next weeks I will purchase all the certificates for her. It dose open up questions to why or how she ended up with my great granddad Joseph Wilsher. 

My granddad always believed his mother to had died at child birth, Joseph Henry 1929 was not even aware of her name. My father was surprised when I told him it...

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I see Joseph H b 1929 was also registered as Joseph H Grogan mmn Waddingham, also births 1924 to 1928 Nottingham Grogan/Waddingham.
Keyboard86

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:15 BST (UK) »
The information I have of now, for this family is...

Father-Joseph Wilsher, carpet hawker 1928, fruit hawker 1929, Birth/Death Nottingham date unknown

Mother-Laura Grogan Formerly Waddingham,  Birth 1904/1905-Death 1931 Nottingham, Married 1923 Derby John Grogan

Son-Joseph Wilsher, Birth 1928-Death 1928, 5 months old Nottingham

Son-Joseph Henry Wilsher, Birth 1929 Nottingham - Death 2009

Addresses-1928, 22 piper street Nottingham
               -1929, 45 st Peters Street Nottingham

The only other useful information is after the Death of Laura Grogan. Joseph Wilsher found another woman that they called Maggie, this women lived with and looked after my granddad Joseph Henry Wilsher 1929, My Granddad and father visited her a number of times in Nottingham. This women Maggie stayed with my great granddad till he died... She was also the main person who told stories of traveller roots to my granddad as he was growing up and she held photos.

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi again, I see Joseph H b 1929 was also registered as Joseph H Grogan mmn Waddingham, also births 1924 to 1928 Nottingham Grogan/Waddingham.
Keyboard86

From what I could see there was a Joseph H Waddingham in her family. I have the full birth and death certificates for the 2 Joseph Wilsher's 1928 and 1929... Both being born by Laura and the father being Joseph Wilsher. I will look in to that tho just in case or maybe link it as family to her. That dose seem interesting tho.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 August 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Joseph H Grogan and Joseph H Wilshire have identical volume and page numbers September qtr Nottingham v7b page 618
Keyboard86