Author Topic: Wilsher blood line, Nottingham, Joseph Wilsher  (Read 34600 times)

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wilsher blood line, Nottingham, Joseph Wilsher
« Reply #90 on: Saturday 08 December 18 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,

Its been some time since I have posted here, I have started a new job and been waiting on a number of DNA tests... I am 99.9% sure my Wilsher line is Romani now, my uncles DNA results have thrown up a number of DNA matches at 30cm-50cm lenght with the surnames of: Winter, Smith, Boswell, Holmes and some others.

My goal now, is to pin point the correct place for my Henry Wilsher and then link the other blood lines to him... I am also waiting on my Y-67 familytreeDNA results. As I start purchasing certificates and find news reports, I will post all information here for any one who seeks their roots like I am.

All most 5 months on and I feel like I have only even started my trip in to the past!

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday 23 January 19 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi all ,

So I'm back at my research now, I have purchased about 50 certificates of B/M/D for the Wilsher Romani family... I am hoping to hit the 150 certificate mark before the end of 2019.

So for a  question-
Any one here come across any real links and proof of marriages with the Wilsher and Boswell families?

News on my ancestors...
4 Bother Christian...
Baptism-20th April 1881,

Place-Saint Phillip's, Sheffield, York, England.

Christian Children:
Fred Wilsher 1870
Jim Wilsher 1875 abt
William Wilsher 1878 abt
Walter Wilsher 1881 abt

Parents:
Joseph (Joe) Wilsher 1844
Maria Wilsher nee Knight 1847

Boyling and Wilsher blood line
Angereena Boyling 1893 is the Grandchild of Thomas Boyling 1836 and Harriett Wilshaw 1842.

Angereena Boyling 1893 married Fred Wilsher 1889 in Doncaster 1914....

The Spelling of the last name

So I had certificates turn up for the same family....

Bothers and sister
Frank Wilcher 1903
Sarah Wilshire 1900
Henry Wilshire 1886
Joseph Wiltshire 1884

Their grandfather
Joseph Wilshaw 1844

I truly believe that the name was put on documents, how ever the person writing thought it was spelt lol.

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 01 February 19 14:43 GMT (UK) »
New Member of the Wilsher Family, and more proof of blood line...

So I purchased a Birth Certificate for a random Wilsher child, that was in a 1939 census with Elizbeth Wilsher nee Woodward. Elizbeth would of been in her 70s at this point, and the child Roland Wilsher was aged 11-12.

So I was purely interested in who his parents were, so I could add him to my tree...

Turned out he was my Great grand father's (Joseph Wilsher 1907) half bother, being born in the same house 12 months before my granddads bother, at 22 Pipe street Nottingham.

Roland Wilsher Father is Henry Wilsher born 11 Dec 1885 Ilkeston, Derbyshire in a Van. Henry Wilsher 1885 parents are Joseph Wilsher born Aug 1865 Attercliffe, Yorkshire and Elizbeth Wilsher nee Woodward 1863.

My Great grandfather Joseph Wilsher 1907 is placed in a census 1911 with a Henry Wilsher and Mary Wilsher nee Earl, at Rotherham... I was told Joseph 1907 settled in Nottingham and at a later date Mary settled in Nottingham. I have always believed, he must of followed his father and think this is strong proof.

Roland Wilsher Born 1927 April, 22 Pipe Street, Nottingham-Father Henry Wilsher 1885
Joseph Wilsher Born 1928 April, 22 Pipe Street, Nottinggam-Father Joseph Wilsher 1907

With the Strong Dna matchs to the Holmes/Wilsher line, I think I may of just proved the correct place of my Great grand father, and his place in this family. No doubt I have much more to learn and find but I feel, as if im fainlly getting some where.

Offline Jenra

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Saturday 16 February 19 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I found your thread a few weeks ago and have been meaning to get in touch to tell you about my Grandad who I thought may fit into your tree but since my last visit you appear to have found him yourself! Roland Wilsher, sadly now passed, lived in Nottingham all his life. His Widow, Mary (my Grandmother) is still alive and approaching her 91st Birthday. Their two children both still live locally as do four of their five grandchildren (of which I am one, 38yrs old) so the Wilsher line is still very much alive and kicking in Nottingham. We were raised on tales of gypsy heritage so its fascinating for us to see how much work you have done looking into our family. Please feel free to PM me. Best wishes, Jennifer.

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Sunday 17 February 19 22:31 GMT (UK) »

Brampton Chesterfield Derbyshire 1866

Shocking Depravity

At the County Magistrates at Chesterfield Tuesday last.

Joseph Wiltshire 22 of Nottingham itinerant Gipsy besom maker and Emma Graham 34 alias knight pot hawker of south sea Hants the latter charged with having stolen five pounds three shillings the property of David Allen pot hawker of Boroughbridge Staffordshire in the Griffin inn Brampton and the former with having feloniously received the same, but the prosecutor on not appearing they were both discharged, it was stated that the male prisoner knocked him down and when on the floor the woman cut out his pockets, They were then charged by Maria Knight (wife of the male, and daughter of the female prisoner) with assaulting her Saturday night, it was stated that Wiltshire was living with his own Mother in law as Man and Wife, the case was dismissed as the parties did not appear.

Update on this news report: Joseph Wiltshire/Wilshaw born 1844 Pontefract, Yorkshire West Riding in a camp, Stapleton.  Is the son to William Wilshaw 1811 and Lydia Jones 1800... Emma Graham nee kinght borrn abt 1825 is Joseph Wiltshire/Wilshaw 1844 monther in-law. Joseph Wilsher wife being Maria Knight Birth 1847.

Joesph Wiltshire/Wilshaw 1844 and Maria Kinght 1847 have at least 8 Kids, one of their Children is called Joseph Wilsher born 1865 Attercliffe, County of York... Who married Elizabeth Woodward.

Joseph Wilsher and Elizbeth Wilsher nee Woodward moved around a great amount, before settling in Nottingham with two of their kids being born in a vardo van.

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Monday 18 February 19 20:04 GMT (UK) »
1881, 1891, 1900 and 1911 Census for Joseph Wilsher 1844 and Maria Wilsher nee Kinght 1847 Family.

1881 census-Street Address 19 Slancer St,Brightside Bierlow, Sheffield
Joseph Willshaw-Age 37
Maria Willshaw-Age 32
Joseph Willshaw-Age 15
Tom Willshaw-Age 14
Fred Willshaw-Age 9
Tim Willshaw-Age 6( James alias Jim Wilshaw)
William Willshaw-Age 3
Infant Willshaw

1891 Census-Sheffield, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England
Joseph Welshaw-Age 49
Maria Welshaw-Age 42
Jim Welshaw-Age 16
Bill Welshaw-Age 13 (William Wilshaw)
Walter Welshaw-Age 11
Emma Welshaw-Age 6
Henry Welshaw-Age 4

1900 census-Shirebrook Holy Trinity, Shirebrook, Mansfield
Joseph Wilt Shaw-Age 56
Maria K Wilt Shaw-Age 57
Emma Wilt Shaw-Age 18
Henry Wilt Shaw-Age 16

1911 Census-Fair Ground Brampton Chesterfield
Sarah Smith-Age 28
Florence Ann Woodward-Age 15
Selina Woodward-Age 12
Joseph Wiltshire-Age 69
Ryah Wiltshire-Age 60
Joseph Wiltshire-Age 42
Joseph Wiltshire-Age 26
Tom Wiltshire-Age 40
Fred Wiltshire-Age 38
Frank Wiltshire-Age 36
Henry Wiltshire-Age 34
Jim Wiltshire-Age 32 (James Wiltshire)
Billy Wiltshire-Age 30 ( William Wiltshire)
Walter Wiltshire-Age 28
Henry Wiltshire-Age 26
Emma Wiltshire-Age 24
William Smith-Age 26
Madaline Smith-Age 29
Mareny Smith
John Smith-Age 30
Leanor Smith-Age23
Spencer Smith

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Adam Wiltshire
« Reply #96 on: Monday 18 February 19 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Also interested in tracing this person

Name-Adam Jones Or Wiltshire
Gender-Male

Baptism Date-04 May 1830
Baptism Place-Newark Upon Trent,Nottingham,England
Father-William Wiltshire
Mother-Lydia Jones

Offline skyshot1990

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Thursday 14 March 19 22:55 GMT (UK) »
So these 5 families are all directly related, Family one being Joseph Wilshaw and Maria Wilshaw nee Knight. Family two also three are their two sons William and Thomas/Tom and grand children...  Rebecca Wilsher being the women I have writ about in the past posts at Pleasley Nottinghamshire.

Then family four and five being another two sons of Joseph Wilshaw and Maria Wilshaw nee Knight at St George, Nottinghamshire at Smith field in caravans.

It's interesting to see, into at least the 1930s-1940s many of Joseph Wilshaw and Maria Wilshaw nee Knight branch of the tree, keep living or hanging around as a strong family unit, while still travelling the midlands.

1901 Censuses

Civil parish-Pleasley
Ecclesiastical parish-Shirebrook Holy Trinity
Town-Shirebrook
County/Island-Derbyshire
Country-England
Registration district-Mansfield

Family one- Travelling vans
Name-Joseph Wilt Shaw, Age-56
Name-Maria K Wilt Shaw nee Knight, Age-57
Name-Emma Wilt Shaw, Age-18
Name-Henry Wilt Shaw, Age-16

Family two-Travelling vans
Name-William Wilt Shaw, Age-21
Name-Maria R Wilt Shaw nee Hartley, Age-20
Name-Rebecca Wilt Shaw, Age-4
Name-William Wilt Shaw, Age-2

Family three-Travelling vans
Name-Thomas Wilt Shaw, Age-37
Name-Margaret Wilt Shaw nee Wray, Age-20
Name-Mathilda Wilt Shaw, Age-11
Name-Harriett Wilt Shaw, Age-10
Name-Thomas Wilt Shaw, Age-7
NameMargaret Wilt Shaw, Age-5
Name-Julia Wilt Shaw, Age-2
Name-Emma Willt Shaw, Age-2

At the same time, two more of Joseph Wilshaw and Maria Wilshaw nee Knight's kids are camping in another area together at 11 Smith's Field in Caravans.

Ecclesiastical parish-St George
County/Island-Nottinghamshire
Country-England
Registration district-Nottingham
Sub-registration district-Nottingham South West

Name-Joseph Wilshire, Age-37
Name-Elizabeth Wilshire nee Woodward, Age-38
Name-Joseph Wilshire, Age-18
Name-Henry Wilshire, Age-16
Name-Mary Wilshire, Age-7
Name-Sarah Wilshire, Age-6/12

Name-Fred Wilshire, Age-30
Name-Annie Wilshire nee Taylor, Age-30
Name-Angerimia Wilshire, Age-10
Name-Fred Wilshire, Age-7 ( Fred Wilsher who marries Angereena Boyling)

Offline panished

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Saturday 16 March 19 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Sue the great researcher from the South sent me information about the Knights in the censuses below, then i saw the William Knight from Arnold in the newspapers from 1866, i thought of the records below She sent me, i do not know how She finds things, She is very good at what She does, the Knights are all over the place, very wild to, are they from the locals or mixed like most i do not know, i have many records of them, they are wild, so are the Wilshers, who everyone is i do not know, there are many knights and many names around this way from local people, you may if you are a bad person make any story sound real, me, i care for nothing, i think of the past and respect the future, you can then reverse that, i think the story of all the Gipsy people as yet to be told, a load of lies will be the epitaph on evan peoples who are alive in this days gravestone, yes on their graves stones, yes the words will be wrote, true to, when they themselves die, they will leave nothing behind but lies, at least a person should at least try and write the truth, you have researched much, why not just put the lot down in one go, i am all good with the truth

Friday 13 July 1866
  Nottinghamshire Guardian
  Nottinghamshire
Tuesday 10 July 1866
 Nottingham Journal
  Nottinghamshire 
 Stealing Rushes

An old elderly man, named William Knight, was charged with stealing a bundle of rushes, used for re- pairing or turning chairs value 2s. the property of Thomas Thompson, brush and basket maker, furniture dealer, Long-row, Thursday last—lt appeared  that, on the night named, an assistant in prosecutor's employ, named Thomas Roulston, had just come out of the warehouse when he saw prisoner, with the rushes in question under his arm, he walking out of the yard at the back of the premises, Knight is a chair bottomer, and lives at Arnold, the yard abuts upon Parliament-street, Roulston asked prisoner if he had paid for them, Prisoner said, “Its all right, I’ve paid the man at the shop.” That was found to be untrue, and information was given to the county police, acting upon which Sergeant Blasdale and Police-constable Hayes apprehended prisoner at his house, working with the rushes at the time. they discovered the rushes in a bedroom. Knight was then charged with stealing them, Prisoner pleaded poverty the motive for committing the robbery, and After the depositions had been taken the bench being inclined to deal leniently with the case, Mr. Biaithwaite sentenced him to two months' imprisonment with hard labor, remarking that he had previously been convicted of a similar offence

1901: CENSUS* INDEXED AS WILT-SHAW SO DOUBLE BARRELLED!!!
.Nottinghamshire, England Civil parish: Pleasley Ecclesiastical parish: Shirebrook Holy Trinity Town: Shirebrook County/Island: Derbyshire Country:
* Lots there in caravans:+
William Wilt Shaw 21 B Woodsetts, Derbyshire pot hawker
Maria R Wilt Shaw 20 Hul Yorkshire
Rebecca Wilt Shaw 4 Sheffield, Yorkshire
William Wilt Shaw 2 b Notinghamshire
Thomas Wilt Shaw 37 b Sheffield, Yorkshire 27 hawker
Margaret Wilt Shaw 20 wife b South Pool, Yorkshire image i think 30?
Emma Willt Shaw 2 months b Sheffield, Yorkshire
Harriett Wilt Shaw 10 b Sheffield, Yorkshire
Julia Wilt Shaw 2 b Sheffield, Yorkshire
Margaret Wilt Shaw 5 b Nottinghamshire,
Mathilda Wilt Shaw 11 b Sheffield, Yorkshire
Thomas Wilt Shaw 7 b Sheffield, Yorkshire
---------------------------------------------
Knight may be related?
Alfred Tyler 35 trav pot higgler b Leics
Lucy Tyler 29 wife b Swadlincote, Derbyshire
Walter Knight 33 coal miner b Romsley, Worcestershire
Martha Knight 32 b Brampton, Derbyshire
Ada Knight 2 b Shirebrook, Derbyshire
Leonard Knight 3 months b Shirebrook, Derbyshire
Mary Knight 5 b Brampton, Derbyshire
Robert B Knight 12 b Brampton, Derbyshire
William Knight 8 b Brampton, Derbyshire
Joseph Wilt Shaw 56 B Darrington, Yorkshire ( THIS IS HIS DAD?)
Maria H OR k ?.57 wife b Bolsover, Derbyshire
Emma dau 18 BWoodsetts, Derbyshire
Henry 16 SON B Woodsetts, Derbyshire
MARRIAGE 1864 ROTHERHAM JOSEPH WILSHAW WED MARIA KNIGHT

1861*Town:Wath upon Dearne:Yorkshire
James Knight   44 b Chesterfield, Derbyshire Earthenware Dealer
Emma Knight   36 b Portsea Hampshire
Harriet Knight   14
Maria Knight   12 dau b Sheffield
Henry Knight   10
Tom Knight   7
Bill Knight   2