Author Topic: James GARDINER, Born c1838, Gastown  (Read 1157 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
James GARDINER, Born c1838, Gastown
« on: Monday 30 July 18 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hello,

James GARDINER was the son of John Todd GARDINER, a Carpenter, and his wife Janet (nee EDGAR).    He had 9 brothers and sisters, John, Margaret, Agnes, Andrew, Alexander, William, Robert, Janet and Benjamin.

He was released early from Portland Prison on 12/03/1857, a 7 year transportation sentence laid down on  08/04/1851 at Dumfries being commuted to penal servitude.   On discharge he returned to the family home at 32 Glasgow Street, Dumfries.

Can anyone help with information about him after March 1857 please.

Thank you,

BAC3

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James GARDINER, Born c1838, Gastown
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 11:05 BST (UK) »
He's not with the Gardiner family in 1861 but there is an entry for a James Gardner age 30 in Dumfries, a transcript on SP (Cannot find him on the census on A....ty).

However James Gardner, 30 born Dumfries
Crew List 4 Mar 1869 Ship Name: Aracan
Port of Registry: Liverpool, Lancashire, England

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thank You Colin,

I had not thought to research "GARDNER" and FindMyPast then gave me two pieces of evidence, namely, confirmed his baptismal date and a "previous" crime in 1849, which then led me to another crime in 1850 with his elder brother, Andrew.   Very welcome information.

However, your two references I have not been able to retrieve.   Do you have any citations please?

For the moment,

Tony

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 15:07 BST (UK) »
This is the entry on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk 1861 census, he appears to be on his own. The original might give more detail?

GARDNER   JAMES   1861   M   30   821/ 1/ 18   Dumfries   Dumfries

The crew list on A…ty is poorly written only the name age and place of birth were clear.

Strangely in you search for Gardiner on soundex etc. Gardner does not show up and vica versa.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 15:14 BST (UK) »
I note the birth record for James:

JAMES GARDNER 14/03/1838 JOHN GARDNER/JANET EDGAR Dumfries

There was not a James Gardiner 1830 - 1840 and no James Gardner in 1831.

Colin

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thank You Colin,

I had an account with Scotlands People + credits...........but not used for about six months......today I could not access my account and have written to Scotlands People seeking an explanation??!!

I quite agree with you regarding the "mystical" Crew List on Ancestry........very difficult to understand.    The next entry down for the 1891 England Census is interesting, but, sadly, only specifies "Scotland"??

For now,

Tony