Author Topic: Manktelow alias Hubble Wadhurst/Ticehurst/Etchingham  (Read 1374 times)

Offline Charychar

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Manktelow alias Hubble Wadhurst/Ticehurst/Etchingham
« on: Tuesday 31 July 18 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I was wondering whether someone might be able to help me please?

My Great x2 Grandfather was born Charles Henry Manktelow on 1 December 1872 in Wadhurst (I have his GRO birth certificate and marriage certificate) but for some reason on all of the census records for 1881, 1891 and 1901 he is shown as using the surname Hubble. I notice his father Samuel Manktelow also uses the alias surname Hubble. I have looked on the Weald ancestry site and there are a lot of Manktelows using the alias surname Hubble. Does anyone know why this might be?

Thank you,

Charlotte

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Manktelow alias Hubble Wadhurst/Ticehurst/Etchingham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 August 18 07:41 BST (UK) »
How far back have you been able to trace the family?
There is a suggestion on surname websites that it could be French or old English.
If they came from France would they have wanted to disguise their name.

I once traced a family that emigrated to the USA using the name Arnold one of the fathers Christian names as they wanted to hide the fact that he was instrumental in the French revolution, he had been a judge who signed death warrants. 

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 August 18 08:20 BST (UK) »
The earliest MANKTELOW I have managed to trace back to is to  Pembury Kent, the marriage of William MACKALLO to Constance GOLD on April 25 1594.

I would suggest that it would be better to look at the HUBBLES to see why that is an alias. I have to say the MANKTELOWs are pretty dull and boring. (with far too many of them called John, Francis and Frances! and a lot of intermarrying.)   

The theories as to the origin of the name are that.  There is one that it could be an anglicisation of MANQUE DE L'EAU

but MACKALLO has a bit of a Scots sound to it and indeed there are some modern descendents who are  MACKELLOW. 

Others have noted that in Cornwall there are other ....telow names like PENTELOW

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 September 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
1872 is a little late for there to have been much anti-French sentiment remaining from the Napoleonic era. Indeed, by then Britain and France tended to be allies and Napoleon III lived in England (Chislehurst, I think); his army had fought alongside the British in the Opium War against China some years earlier.

But maybe the name change was a hangover from earlier times when Britain and France were at war.

I take the point that the name MANKTELOW may well not actually have a French origin, but all it takes is for people to believe it does (however wrongly) for there to be pressure for a change.
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 September 18 14:53 BST (UK) »
There are a large number of Manktelow (and variant spellings) baptisms recorded in Wadhurst, the earliest being around the mid 1700s.  Wadhurst has the highest concentration of the name amongst Sussex parishes.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk