Author Topic: Help  (Read 1064 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 August 18 13:48 BST (UK) »
Welcome to the endlessly fascinating, all-consuming (time, money, sanity) world of family history! I am assuming from what you have posted that you know your grandparents, and are now trying to find out where they came from. Here's what I did at that early stage of my researches:

1. I irritated my family by asking questions. Lots of them. This gave me the full names and approximate dates of birth for each of my grandparents.

2. I looked for my maternal grandparents (born 1908 and 1910) in the 1911 census. I couldn't do this for my paternal grandparents who were born in 1912 and 1915. This gave me names for my maternal great grandparents and an approximate date for their marriage.

3. I obtained birth certificates for all four grandparents. These confirmed my maternal grandparents' names, and gave me my paternal great grandparents' names. My father confirmed his grandparents' names for me, which helped.

4. I obtained my grandparents' marriage certificates. These gave me fathers' occupations.

5. I moved onto the great-grandparents, starting with the maternal ones. I searched for their marriages, and obtained marriage certificates for them. These gave me fathers' names and occupations.

6. I went back to the censuses, knowing my maternal great grandmothers' maiden names, and all the fathers' names and occupations, and I searched for them in the 1901 census. I then followed them back through the censuses until I had them in the first census after their birth.

7. I worked on the basis that the most accurate indication of any individual's year of birth was to be found in their age shown in the first census after their birth and I searched for registered births which matched. If there were a number of possible candidates, then I would keep going back through the censuses until I had the first appearance of an older sibling. Then I would try to confirm the mother's maiden name EITHER by buying a birth certificate of a sibling with a more distinctive name for whom there was only one candidate, OR by looking for the parents' marriage 2 - 5 years before the first child was born, and taking the maiden name off that.

8. Having got the mother's maiden name, I could order a birth certificate and check it was the correct one by checking that the mother's maiden name matched. Now the GRO online search facility has a search field for the mother's maiden name. Back then this option wasn't available.

By using censuses and certificates to cross-check the details, I was able to follow most of my family lines back to the start of civil registration in 1837. There were a number of difficulties and surprises along the way. But for English lines of descent, it is a pretty sure way of proceeding.

Never forget the first rule of geneaolgy: "always kill off your ancestors". Once you have a great great grandparent, follow them forward through the censuses even after your great grandparents have ceased to live with them, and when they "drop off" the census, start looking for a death. Obtain the certificate - your great grandparent may well have been the informant, and it may well give you an address-between-censuses. These are sometimes surprising, or can help you make sense of a seemingly spurious reference that you may have found elsewhere.

Once you have the death, search for a will. If there is one, obtain a copy. Wills often contain acknowledgements of one or more family relationships that you were tentatively accepting, but needed to have proved.

If getting in all of these documents sounds expensive - well yes, it can be. But certainty comes from having the documentary audit trail to prove the story that you tell. The absolute paradigm would be, for somebody who lived, say, 1844 - 1899, to have:

(1) birth certificate
(2) copy parish register ("PR") entry for their baptism
(3) transcription of the 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 and 1891 census entries in which they appear
(4) marriage certificate
(5) copy PR entry for the marriage, and copies of the Banns Book entries, or copies of the licence, allegation and bond
(6) birth certificates of all children
(7) copy PR entries for all children's baptisms
(8 ) death certificates of all children who died in infancy
(9) copy PR entries for all children who died in infancy
(10) marriage certificates of all children
(11) death certificate
(12) copy of the PR entry for burial
(13) photograph of grave stone
(14) copy of will

To assemble such a portfolio of evidence for all ancestors born since 1837 would be an extraordinary achievement. The closer you can get to this paradigm for each ancestor, the more detailed an account you will be able to give of their life; and the stronger will be your conviction that each new link you add to the chain properly belongs to your family, and not some other unconnected family which just happens to share the same name.

If you get into all the right habits of enquiry while you are searching for the period since 1837, when you have registrations of Births, Marriages and Deaths and census data to help you, the readier you will be when you have completed these investigations to move on to researching your ancestors who lived some or all of their lives before 1837, and for whom the documentary audit trail is apt to be much weaker.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 August 18 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ;D

The advice I was given when I began( which was before the internet) was to find 3 ( real) records for each event for each person before I trusted it was true and added it to my tree.... now that is OK but often there are not 3 records to find, but it stood me in good stead and I am pleased I got that advice.

The internet makes FH research very easy but it also makes it so easy to go wrong especially for newbies  who think 'copy what you see/find/is hinted is 'research' but commercial/religious websites make claims of 'records' they have when what they have is a mixture of real records ( image scans of records are the ONLY real records online) and the rest are transcriptions, indexes, donated/collected data and 'trees' and they are NOT records and can only be used as a clue about where to look for the real records.

You have lots of real records at home and in the homes of your living family...look at those as they are the BEST resources you have and are free, so for example your own birth cert, PROVES you, where you were born/registered and proves your parents, so it is a 'connecting record' which connects two generations. Ask the questions NOW of all the older relations you have, write down the family stories, who told you and when, family stories are your families oral history most are not true, although some have some truth, most are told to hide something or are simply 'Chinese whispers' ( change each time told as that person adds or takes away what is important to them) but they are invaluable to give you an idea of your family and the oral history.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Online sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 August 18 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Morto

You were online earlier but did not reply, I hope that the replies you have already have answered your questions.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Morto

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 August 18 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your help jbml and iluleah. Just what ive been looking for advice on how to trace and work back the way. I have been using scotland people. I have booked a day this week at the Mitchell library to look at all certificates without paying out credits each time just a flat rate and spend all day looking at it without my girls interrupting me. I will come back im sure when i have questions and brickwall wall moments for all your expertise.

Hi Sarah, yes advice spot on and i was in work so didnt have time to respond.

Morto x