Author Topic: William Beveridge born to David Beveridge and Isobel Muir 1691  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Bates51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Beveridge born to David Beveridge and Isobel Muir 1691
« on: Tuesday 31 July 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
I have seen two different strands going back to this William, and I am wondering if any one knows for sure which is the correct one?
One has William marrying Janet Beveridge and having at least John in 1714 in Dysart.
The other has William marrying Isobel Orak and having at least George in 1713 in Fife.
Both marriages were in Falkland. One in 1708 to Isobel, and the other in 1711 to Janet. For both, he would have been quite young.
The only other one in Fife is to Margaret Lochart in 1719, in Dalgetty.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Beveridge born to David Beveridge and Isobel Muir 1691
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 12:18 BST (UK) »
David Beverage & Isobel Muir – Dysart
Margaret 1688, William 1691 & Elspit 1693

I think the difficulty with all 3 marriages is no clear naming pattern. There were other children born in the area father William but different wives and no marriage records but again no clear match. I looked at two marriages in Edinburgh with similar results.

I did stumble across the death record for DAVID BEVERIDGE, age 82  (1755) 31/03/1837 Falkland (Williams father maybe) that would lead me to believe the marriage to Isabell would be more likely, as the family were still in Falkland.

WILLIAM BEVERAGE & ISABELL ORAK
Banns Falkland 4/04/1708 & Burntisland 30/04/1708
Falkland - Catherine 1709, James 1711, George 1711, William 1715
Marjory 1717, Malcolm 1719 & John 1722

WILLIAM BEVERAGE & JANET BEVERAGE   Falkland 29/09/1711
Children Dysart.
Agnes 1712, John 1714 & Helen 1717

WILLIAM BEVERIDGE  & MARGARET LOCKHART Dalgetty 10/07/1719
Helen 1723 & Janet 1725

The only baptism for a DAVID 23/11/1712 Kinglassie, father WILLIAM BEVERADGE but no marriage and he was the only child.

Sorry I cannot help more.

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline DeirdreC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 February 19 01:08 GMT (UK) »
Interesting.
I have this in my family tree.

James BEVERIDGE
1778–Deceased       
(Marriage: <1802>
Kinglassie, Fife, Scotland)

Christina LOCKHART
1781–Deceased   

I am currently trying to connect the following and posted about it this am:
Hi

I live in NZ and on my Mum's side there is the name 'BEVERIDGE".
On my Dad's side there is also the name BEVERIDGE. Descendants of both ended up in New Zealand.

I do wonder if there is a connection and if there is a researcher out there that might have knowledge of this family.
John BEVERIDGE, Dumferline Fife. (No dates, but his daughter was Elisabeth BEVERIDGE
22 September 1849 – 9 September 1905)

Robert BEVERIDGE Kinglassie, Fife.  1803-1870 (his son James 1838-1890 immigrated to NZ).

thanks for taking the time to stop in
Talk soon

Deirdre
MUNRO, Cromartyshire
GREEK, Devon.
JUDD, Devon
BLACKWOOD, Kilmarnoch
McINDOE, Glascow
HART, Kilmarnoch
EDMONDS, London
DUKE, London
REID,Tranent
JOHNSTON, Tranent.
INNES, Haddingtonshire
GIBB, Beath.
John BEVERIDGE, Dumferline Fife.
Robert BEVERIDGE Kinglassie, Fife
Peter ROBERTSON, Edinburgh.
William DUNCAN, Abbotshall
John PAUL, London

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 February 19 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Bates51, where are you finding these 'different strands'?

If you got these 'different strands' from online trees, forget about them. Both of them.

Never trust anything you find in online unless it is an image of an original document - and even then be wary because mistakes do happen.

The only online source of the vast majority of Scottish records is Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. That is the only place you can see most original images.

Even if there is only one person in the records who fits the person you are looking for, it is still not safe to assume that they are the right person, because the records are incomplete. Many baptisms and marriages were never recorded or, if they were, the record has not survived.

(I devoted a lot of effort to climbing the wrong tree when I started out, before I got my great-great-grandmother's death certificate and realised that there were two Margaret Davidsons born in the same parish in the same year, only one of whose baptisms was in the parish register. There is no record of the birth or baptism of the other one, who became my great-great-grandmother.)

So you need to look for other evidence, for example did any of the folk you are interested in leave a will? Are there any gravestones? Did they own land, in which case there will be records in the Registers of Sasines.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 February 19 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Interesting.
I have this in my family tree.

James BEVERIDGE
1778–Deceased       
(Marriage: <1802>
Kinglassie, Fife, Scotland)

Christina LOCKHART
1781–Deceased   

I am currently trying to connect the following and posted about it this am:
Hi

I live in NZ and on my Mum's side there is the name 'BEVERIDGE".
On my Dad's side there is also the name BEVERIDGE. Descendants of both ended up in New Zealand.

I do wonder if there is a connection and if there is a researcher out there that might have knowledge of this family.
John BEVERIDGE, Dumferline Fife. (No dates, but his daughter was Elisabeth BEVERIDGE
22 September 1849 – 9 September 1905)

Robert BEVERIDGE Kinglassie, Fife.  1803-1870 (his son James 1838-1890 immigrated to NZ).

thanks for taking the time to stop in
Talk soon

Deirdre

Best to make your own new topic? I have Beveridges from Fife in my family tree to they are really common ......
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline COLINBALLINGALL

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 March 20 20:42 GMT (UK) »
hello  has anyone come across a Jean Beveridge born c 1690 she married David Ramsay in 1715 at Falkland, struggling to find her parents, I did find a Jean Baveradge born 1689 to a Thomas Baveradge in Wemyss.

Colin