Author Topic: 1881 Cardiff Mystery Emery and Dean in Pearl Street - who are the family members  (Read 591 times)

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
  • It's always good to share!
    • View Profile
Good morning and thank you for any help that can be given.

Edit: I forgot to add the extract in my original post - now added!

Thanks to some earlier help on Rootschat (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=797061.0) I have been tracing my wife's ggg grandfather and his family. All seemed to be going well until I got to the 1881 census which has left me confused about some of the family members!

I have John in each census from 1841-91.

1841 - Malmesbury, Wiltshire | Sawyer | Head of household living with wife Elizabeth (Kendall) and daughter Rhoda.
1851 - Malmesbury | Labourer | Head with Elizabeth and Rhoda
1861 - Cardiff | Labourer | Lodging with James Bowen a brewer at 1 Canal Bank
1871 - Cardiff | Labourer | living in same house as Rhoda and son-in-law Charles Young at 21 Ivor Street
1881 - Cardiff | Labourer | two families sharing a house at 138 Pearl Street
1891 - Cardiff | Widower | back to living with Rhoda and Charles this time at 28 Ivor Street

It is 1881 that has confused me (RG11 / 5287 / 61A / Page 31).  Coincidently, my wife's gg grandmother (John's daughter) Martha Margeret Emery (1846-1901) was married to Michael Holloway Dean.  The same surname as the entries in the attached extract although I can't find any connection.

My questions are:
  • Is this entry definitely my John and Elizabeth as John's surname in the extract is a little unclear?
  • Is Alma Emery Dean their daughter - if so, I cannot find a birth or marriage for her to a "Dean"?
  • Is Mary A Dean, Alma's daughter - again, I cannot find a birth for her?
  • Is Dora Emery Deane b. Abt 1878 - possibly Dora Elizabeth E Emery Q4 1878 11A 303 d. Q3 1879 11A 140
  • Is Beatrice Emery b. Abt 1880 - possible Beatrice Alma Emery Q4 1880 11A 222 BUT MMN IS VICKERY

Apologies about so many questions but I have never had one census entry raise so many questions.

Many thanks again for any help.

Berkshire: Clarke, Croxford, Eustace
Bilston, Staffordshire: Dean
Devon: Blackmore, Matthews
Gwyddelwern, Betws GG, Denbighshire: Davies, Evans
Glamorgan: Dean, Matthews
Hull: Grant, Nicholson, Patterson, White
Newcastle: Patterson
Shafton, Yorkshire: Miles, Moulson,
Wiltshire: Emery

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 Cardiff Mystery Emery and Dean in Pearl Street - who are the family members
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
I rather think that the Do's were added incorrectly.
Alma and the children listed below her are all EMERYs. Alma Jane VICKERY married Albert Lewis EMERY Mar Qtr 1877 Cardiff.

Mary A Deane is probably the daughter of Martha and Michael.
GRO Births:
DEAN, MARY  ANN AMELIA    mmn EMERY     
 1874  S Quarter in OF CARDIFF  Volume 11A  Page 312

Maureen

Offline teach3r

• RootsChat Senior
  • It's always good to share!
    • View Profile
Re: 1881 Cardiff Mystery Emery and Dean in Pearl Street - who are the family members
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 August 18 12:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Maureen - your help is very much appreciated.

I (wrongly) assumed that Alma was originally an Emery rather than married one.  I do have an Albert E Emery as the son of John in the 1871 (RG10/5362/16/Page 25) census (aged 14) but not an Albert Lewis (I guess that could be a typo? but probably best to look for the birth to confirm.)

Edit: There is an Albert Lewis Emery born Q2 1856 Newport, Monmouthshire 11A 181 which fits (I need to start ordering certificates).

I hadn't yet confirmed where Mary was in 1881 but what you have suggested fits perfectly - thank you!

Regards,

Nic
Berkshire: Clarke, Croxford, Eustace
Bilston, Staffordshire: Dean
Devon: Blackmore, Matthews
Gwyddelwern, Betws GG, Denbighshire: Davies, Evans
Glamorgan: Dean, Matthews
Hull: Grant, Nicholson, Patterson, White
Newcastle: Patterson
Shafton, Yorkshire: Miles, Moulson,
Wiltshire: Emery