Author Topic: I have to go down there.  (Read 4060 times)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: I have to go down there.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 September 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
A truly fascinating tale, of which I was not previously aware.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 September 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
this is johns death the brother of my william my 2nd gg.

He Fell from his horse!!!!

oooo so spooky

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 September 18 19:58 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few tales to tell with this lot..

but as yet no marriage..

soo all out search, if I havent already 10 times..

maybe I decided at some point that 6 gens positivity was sufficient.   I doubt it.. if I know me.

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 10 September 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
I have written to OPC 

who knows they may find something

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 September 18 21:09 BST (UK) »
One thought is the amount of people that left London around 1665 due to the Plague...

If they could afford to get away they would.. so maybe Hester left London to go to family down south..

There is NO TRACE of a marriage  --- I have checked my records and written several notes -
saying nothing found, and that is from 2010.. so... my final note on my page was that I had left that one for the daughters to find  :)

be great to find it though..

or a baptism that proves the correct mother child relationships as per Scottish records...

ho hum

leaving it for now..

xin

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 September 18 23:56 BST (UK) »
These things are sent to try us. That's what makes genealogy so interesting.

Not only genealogy. back in June I was down in the St Minver area doing some research on an ancient farmhouse currently owned by a member of the extended family. I knew from old records that it had once had its own chapel but could find no trace of it on the ground. With you having rekindled my interest in Cornwall I decided to go through my collection of old maps this evening and I found it, on an 1880 OS map. What's more, its position is so clearly defined that if I go down again, either later this year or in the spring, I will be able to walk straight to it. Records from the late 1700s suggest that the chapel was derelict by that time so I was surprised to see it clearly defined on an OS map from a hundred years or so later.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi xin

No need to go down there you can see the Lanlivery Registers on Family Search.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1769414

At the bottom of the search page is a link to browse through the images coloured red. Click on this and then choose Cornwall and then choose your parish.

The Lanlivery register is in very poor condition for the time period you are looking at.

Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1600-1758  -  The bit you want starts about Image 78
Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1644-1812  -  The first part of this register is obviously a re-write but it is very legible. The records are composite so the events appear year by year and not in special sections for
Baptisms Burials and Marriages.

I could not find the marriage you are looking for. But some pages are in very poor condition with damage that makes the illegible and the person who did the re-write may not have been able to read all of them.

However, even if they were perfect you would be very frustrated because in this part of the register the marriages do not state the surname of the bride.  It's all John Smith and Mary his wife were married.  (Unless you were the vicar's or the Squire's daughter.)

I guess Hester's surname mentioned in a Will or some other document. Since this practice of only giving the bride's forename was pretty common in the 1600's it's possible you may never find a Helliar - Leverton Marriage. There is no other information about John and Hester other than their names in the register. Except that Hester is stated to be a widow when she was buried.

There is no age at death stated but I did find a child of John and Hester's baptized 12 Sep 1686. If she was born in 1630 she would be age 56 when he was born. There is a Hester Cleverton born at Poughill but even 1633 puts her over 50 in 1686.

Hope this helps
Venelow
Canada

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 20:21 BST (UK) »
Well  blow me down. :o :o. thank you and bless you all the way from UK to Canada :)

will have a very good ferrett.  ;D

thanks

xin

;)

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 00:09 BST (UK) »
No Problem Cousin xin

Cousin Ven