Author Topic: House number from 1891  (Read 631 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
House number from 1891
« on: Thursday 02 August 18 19:35 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Can anyone find the address of James W. Harding and his wife Sarah from 1891? It's in Bloomsbury at Holy Trinity Le Queen Street if memory serves.

I'd appreciate any help!

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Winslass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: House number from 1891
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 August 18 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Could these be your Hardings?

1891 Census:  Block A Peabody Buildings, Great Wild Street, Bloomsbury, St. Giles, London and Middlesex.

James Westcott Harding 45

Sarah Brown Harding 49

Florence Harding   18

Winslass

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 August 18 20:00 BST (UK) »
That must be it. The transcript on FamilySearch must be wrong. Thanks!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline Winslass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 August 18 20:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I just noticed that it was number 19.

Winslass

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 August 18 20:06 BST (UK) »
19 Peabody Buildings or 19 Great Wild Street?

Offline Winslass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 August 18 20:46 BST (UK) »

The original 1891 image states the numbers of the flats, starting below and in the same column as 'Block A, Peabody Buildings'. 

There is no mention of Great Wild Street on the original image for the Harding family - but I went back a few pages immediately before Peabody Buildings and found the street name there (ending with number 5).

The 1891 transcription for the Harding family, states the full address as in my first reply.

So to answer your question, I think that the number 19 refers to Peabody Buildings and not to Great Wild Street.

Winslass

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 August 18 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Winslass!

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 August 18 08:19 BST (UK) »
There's an interesting contemporary description of Great Wild Street, including this bit:

"The population of the district, amounting to some 6000, is mostly composed of the poorest of the poor-costermongers, bricklayers' labourers, scavengers, dealers in rags and bones, sandwich- men, chimney-sweeps, odd men from Covent Garden Market, scene-shifters and hangers-on of the theatre, artisans who are always out of work, women and girls who earn a poor living in all sorts of ways, and a migratory people without visible means of living.
    In this category, however, I do not include the people who live in the Peabody Buildings. These are, for the most part, of a far more respectable class, such as police constables, postmen, commissionaires, servants in government offices, club servants, and industrious artisans. But even in the Peabody Buildings there are some very poor people, who find it a hard matter to pay the weekly rent and to get bread enough to keep body and soul together."

http://www.victorianlondon.org/publications6/slums-01.htm

There's a photo of Peabody Buildings in Great Wild Street on page 11 of this PDF: https://www.peabody.org.uk/media/2598/islington-archaeological-report-final-2012.pdf
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 August 18 08:24 BST (UK) »
Wow! Thanks. My ancestor was a police sergeant (and a freemason I found out yesterday) so at least he didn't have to endure hardship.