Author Topic: William Warrender - Wemyss birth late 1600's  (Read 1246 times)

Offline mmkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Warrender - Wemyss birth late 1600's
« on: Friday 03 August 18 06:56 BST (UK) »
William Warrender married Jonet Christy in Wemyss on 29 Apr 1692.   But the only birth of a William Warrender that I can locate would make him 14 at his marriage - and 4 children born to him and Jonet up to 1699.      I know that it was legal for a boy to marry at 14 in Scotland at that time but just wondering if others feel that this is the right birth.?  If this is the correct birth then he would be from Anstruther which is geographically possible.   

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Warrender - Wemyss birth late 1600's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 August 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
Out of Curiosity have you picked up Jonet Christie's fathers name in your travels?

There is a Andrew Christy and a William Warrender on the Hearth roles 1691-1695 for "Weems" would this make them neighbours?

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/hearth-tax-records-1691-1695/hearth-tax-records-fife-volume-2/33

"Before 1929, Scots law followed Roman law in allowing a girl to marry at twelve years of age and a boy at fourteen, without any requirement for parental consent." Source NRScotland

Wonder how old Jonet Christie was (16?)

My own Wemyss ancestors moved up and down the coast, so what you are saying sounds possible
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline mmkiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Warrender - Wemyss birth late 1600's
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 August 18 01:18 BST (UK) »
Not located Jonet Christy (christie) yet in terms of finding her parents ....

thanks for that link - I have been trying to find a death record as well as just wondering if this is the right William then why would they suddenly stop having children if they were so young other than one of them passing away.